Slice Positions on Manual Grains question

Hi!

I’m experimenting with Manual Grains units to trigger percussive instruments inside the ER301. Instead of using a fast OSC inside the trigger of the MG to freeze the sound as a traditional grain synth, I’m triggering percussive instruments like drums or pianos one by one, like pressing each key on a traditional keyboard. By doing this instead of using traditional sample players with slice positions, one can play different notes and the sound triggered continues till it ends (depending on the duration or “dur” parameter"). In other words, as the MG is 16 notes polyphony, you can play 16 notes and the without “cutting” the decay time of each one. If I play a piano note, I wanted to ear the sound till it ends … With a sample player with slices it automatically stops the playing position and goes to the new one, so the sound doesn’t naturally end. Also to be able to create polyphony on the ER301 if tested that this method uses less CPU that using sample players, as, for example, with one single MG you can create up to 16 notes playing at the same time …

But …

The problem with this method is that the separation of all the starting points of all the single shots of the sample chain loaded into the MG unit must be the same, because if one is shorter than another, we run the risk that depending on the duration parameter the still running grain will continue running and play the next sample. I’ve been creating my custom sample chains with equal distance in Ableton, but the problem is that if you have different length samples, the separation of each one is determined by the longest single shot. Then I set the duration parameter on the MG to that distance, and manually adjust the start position gain to match each note. With “all short” sounds it’s not really a problem, but with longer ones or mix of different lengths then the resulting WAV files are huge, so then we go into a memory problem.

So my question …

Could be possible for future upgrades to include the option to set slice positions inside a Manual Grain unit and be able to link those slices to the duration of each grain? Or in other words, to set the playing slices to stop once they reach the next slice?

Thank you guys!