Some new Units to share

maybe not everyone knows that @Joe’s Compare bespoke unit can be used as a T type flip flop.
if you set it on Toggle, whenever it receives a trig\gate\whatever it goes high and stays high until a new trig\gate is received and then it goes low.
this can prove very useful as a sort of “clock divider” for signals that are not steady clocks, but arbitrary trains of gates\triggers.
with this you can extrapolate a sparser, less dense rhythmic track from an existing one. coupled with sample and hold (triggered by the out of the flip flop) it can be used to extract sparser voices from busy ones, this proves extremely helpful paired with “analog shift register” units or external modules.

5 Likes

You can use a vanilla counter unit for this also!

1 Like

true! never thought about it!

but if i recall correctly the counter will emit a trig, not a gate that stays high or am i wrong @desolationjones?

It emits a gate.

Hard to believe it’s coming up on a year since I’ve updated Accents.

Ultimately I’d like to merge the two BPF’s back to a single unit, but didn’t want to break anything that has these as a dependency for now. The new one is in the Experimental category for the moment.

XFade is a equal power crossfader with A and B input chains. It is a straightforward exposing of Brian’s middle layer object so that you can use it directly in the UI layer. Please see this link for his explanation of the equal power curve.

2020-09-27 Accents v0.5.03.1
NEW UNIT: XFade
NEW UNIT: Ladder BPF2 - changes bandwidth (BW) controller from log to linear response

17 Likes

huge thanks for your great work as usual! pretty sure i’ll be using both new units a lot!

1 Like

Brought this up in the other thread too, but will post here-
I tested new band pass with linear BW.
Something odd came up.
See the picture below. In this test, both Q and BW are looking at cv input D3 which is getting a 10 volt input. On Q, I have modulation gain set to only one and it’s hitting the highest value (normal behavior). On BW, I have gain completely maxed out and I’m not even able to hit the top values of the parameter. Where you see it stopped is as high as it can get with a 10 v input, maxed out gain, and 0 bias.
And ideas on this?!

1 Like

I will take a look. Probably needs another tweak. Thanks for testing!

2 Likes

Yes! Thanks Joe!

1 Like

hello @Joe i have issues loading the Accents Comb Filter,it says failed to load. do you want to see the error log?
im checking all of them and also Inverse wont load up.

Hmm… those sound like my unfinished non working units. Did they get pushed to prod somehow?

Edit:looks like those two snuck into my init file somehow. Ignore them for now and I’ll remove them with the next update (unless I can get them working) :wink:

2 Likes

aaah ok, in fact they didn’t sound familiar :slight_smile:

2020-10-03 Accents v0.5.03.2
NEW UNIT: Amie (amplitude modulation synth)
FIXED: Ladder BPF2 Bandwidth control will reach max with max gain and 10V input
FIXED: Corrected library units appearing in menu

Thanks @hyena for reporting the incomplete units appearing.

Amie is an amplitude modulation synth. The goal was to be pretty versatile yet lightweight at ~2% cpu usage.

Here’s a primer/demo. Load this as a channel chain (preferably stereo). Each voice is generated by an Amie unit instance. There are five voices total in this generative patch.

amie gen demo.chain (76.0 KB)

amie

control function
V/Oct volt per octave tuning
f0 center frequency
ratio ratio of the modulator frequency to the carrier frequency
car sat carrier gain into cubic limiter - as you increase the sine wave will become squared off
carFdbk amount of phase modulation feedback for the carrier - as you increase the sine wave will become more like a ramp
mod sat modulator gain into cubic limiter - as you increase the sine wave will become squared off
modFdbk amount of phase modulation feedback for the modulator - as you increase the sine wave will become more like a ramp
wet balance between carrier and sidebands. At zero you hear pure carrier, at one you hear pure ring modulation
level level of the output vca
16 Likes

Amie is super sweet! simple AM is too underrated! thanks!

1 Like

Thanks! I agree, AM can be a lot of fun. It does seem like it kind of lurks in the shadows in 2020, but I think it offers some unique sound design possibilities, especially in a modular context like this.

1 Like

Mmmmh interesting!
Thanks @jo

1 Like

Amie sounds great! Thanks so much.

1 Like

I have briefly loaded the demo chain, so cool it just starts playing like that :heart_eyes: Sounds great!
I’m looking forward to dive deeper, it’s nice to have many voices to play with. The fact that this runs at 2% per voice, yes, very very cool. Thanks Joe!

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, I thought rather than making a video I’d try a demo that you can interact with and tweak this time, as an experiment. Be interested to hear how well that works (or doesn’t) as far as conveying some ideas about some ways to use it.

3 Likes