Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Some new Units to share

bespoke-unit
custom-unit

I left the file names intact in hopes of not breaking anything that was built using them. So you’re correct, you wouldn’t be able to change the file names unless you also update init.lua, which would mean you’d have to maintain that file with each update yourself.

I am seeing now that I didn’t change the unit titles (for display in the unit header). So I’ll fix those with the next update.

First and foremost: thanks so much @Joe for making these Units! They’re awesome and open up so many new possibilities!

I have a question regarding “Voltage Bank”. I have a Custom Control fader linked to “Start” of a Manual Loop unit and would like to save/recall some fader positions I like with Voltage Bank – but this doesn’t work. To recall the stored voltages I have to modulate the Custom Control fader with the output of Voltage Bank (Gain 1, Bias 0), but when I set the Voltage Bank mode to “In”, this creates a “CV feedback”, because Voltage Bank passes through its input CV.

So to store values I have to set the Gain of the Custom Control fader to 0, but ideally I’d switch between saving and recalling on the fly. Can you think of a workaround or is Voltage Bank only meant to store exernal CVs?

You’re welcome!

You don’t have to set the output mode to “input” to record new values. You can trigger it in index mode and Voltage Bank should still sample it’s input into the selected bank slot.

Does that help or have I not fully grasped what you’re trying to do yet?

Yes, thanks, that helps – but there’s still a problem: When I set the fader to 0.1 and fire the trigger in index mode, Voltage Bank outputs 0.1, so the fader value jumps to 0.2 (Current fader value + Voltage Bank value). It’s kind of the same problem I ran into recently in a different situation.

I guess what I’m not understanding is why you have the custom control in between the VB and the target parameter. Why not connect the VB directly to the start param on the Manual Grains? Then use an Offset unit (bias 0, gain 1) as the input to VB, and connect the top level custom control up as the modulation source for the Offset.

If you want the controls all up at the top of a custom container, you could create an additional linear and gate custom control to control VB’s index and trigger params.

It’s very possible I’m just not understanding what you’re trying to achieve. Sometimes it’s hard for me to visualize a patch from a description.

Same as :grin:

I didn’t have the idea to use an Offset unit as VB input, so my workaround was to use a Custom Control as input for VB.

Yes, I know. I followed your suggestions and it works – but this way I still have to go to VB and switch modes between IN (to hear the influence of the Offset fader in realtime) and INDEX (to recall saved VB states). What I’m trying to achieve is switching playing with the Offset fader (Loop Start), saving a position and recalling saved states on the fly – all from the top level (Custom Controls).

Sure, sorry. I wanted to take up as little of your time as possible, but figuring out what I want to achieve takes you more time than opening a patch. So here it is. (It’s a Mixer Preset, no sample/buffer attached.)

I’m still learning the ER-301. Thanks a lot!

Loop Start Mod.unit (10.2 KB)

Have not downloaded the preset yet but I think we now have a solution, with the exception that there’s really no way to switch between hearing VB’s input vs index value without going into the menu options for VB. And VB may be buried down in a subchain somewhere where it’s not convenient to do that. Does that sound right?

If so, that makes sense. I can take a look at the possibility of moving the output = input mode to some kind of a toggle control rather than a menu option. That way it could also be connected up to an external gate control. That would actually be a pretty nice feature I think.

Yes, that sounds right. And a toggle to switch between IN and INDEX (or probably even better: between passing through the input and outputting the stored index CV in INDEX mode) would be the solution to this puzzle. Would be a great addition. Thanks!

Pardon the noob question, but I’m not seeing the Accents units anywhere in the Category view, only in the A-to-Z view. I unzipped them into \ER-301\libs\Accents (I tried just \ER-301\libs first). Did I skip a step somewhere?

Edit: okay nevermind, it looks like they show up in the categories now that I’ve loaded one from the A-to-Z view.

Welcome to your ER-301 :smiley:

Glad you got it sorted, and congrats on your 301!

This is exactly what I was looking for as well! If this could be implemented, it would be amazing.

And just wanted to second, third and fourth all the thanks for the units. Really is amazing work, and unbelievable that you are so open with it. Thanks Joe!

Ypsi Kid

Accents v0.4.11.0

NEW UNIT: Linear Sampling VCA (thanks @mopoco, @NeilParfitt)
ENCHANCED: Voltage Bank header menu options removed, output bypass toggle added (thanks @rklem)
JANITORIAL: Updated unit names in headers to match unit names in insert menu (Ladder BPF, Ensemble, Aliasing Pulse)
JANITORIAL: Introduced a version number that follows the ER-301 firmware version x.y where x is the ER-301 firmware version correlating with this release of Accents, and y is the yth Accents release made on this firmware

Direct Download: Accents v0.4.11.0.zip (31.4 KB)
Github: Accents

Accents 0.4.11.0 New Features

Buchla Music Easel Inspired Custom Units

Thanks a lot, Joe! Seeing my whish for Voltage Bank fulfilled in such an elegant way and even being credited is just awesome! :slight_smile:

Linear Sampling VCA is a great addition too – and also the version/firmware correlation is very helpful. I was about to suggest a numbering system like this for custom units, so people can stop asking “Does this work on firmware x.y.z?”.

Awesome! Can’t wait to try these!

Sweet Joe - many thanks :smiley:

I forgot to point it out in the video, but you can edit the bypass control.

For example, you can make it a gate style control if you want to hook it up to a toggle style control at the top of your custom unit and have the top level control be indicative of whether the VB is in bypass mode or not.

Toggle seemed like a reasonable default for the bypass control so that it’s easy to operate without connecting anything to it, but if you think it would be better having gate style as a default, let me know.

Really excited to give this new VCA a try in polyphonic sample patches!!

Does the Sampling VCA look for a zero crossing on upon opening and closing, or just opening?
If it’s just looking for a zero crossing upon opening, would it be difficult to create a “sample gate” with a simple on/off with a gain of one that looks for a zero crossing upon turning on and off? I think this would be very useful for dealing with the issue of samples changing playback position mid playback when the voice is being stolen.
I tried to remedy this with slew limiters, but I wasn’t very successful. If I made the slew limiter long enough to have the desired effect, the trigger for the gate wasn’t reaching 0 by the time the next trigger arrived, and I believe it was not engaging the zero-crossing functionality anymore.

Edit: I’m realizing this is a very niche use case, feel free to disregard my query :sweat_smile:

I agree: Toggle as default seems like the right choice.