Some new Units to share

Very possible I need to serialize some control that isn’t being automatically saved. I’ll add it to my list to look at. Thanks!

4 Likes

I’m using your “motion sensor” and I love it! I’m wondering if this could be make just with native units, resulting in no dependencies if I share a custom unit. I “just” need a trigger when motion is detected…

An additional benefit would be that I might learn something, which is always a good thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @a773, glad to hear you like it!

I don’t think it can be built purely from built-ins because it requires a comparator. The Compare unit in Accents exposes the Comparator DSP object in a pretty verbatim way, so you could probably build it using that.

That wouldn’t get you out of an external dependency on Accents, but if you were doing it for the learning exercise, I think that’s the only piece that’s missing for creating it in the UI layer. If on the other hand you need the functionality in a custom preset, the middle layer version will probably have lower CPU usage.

EDIT: you might be able to build it using one of the EGs in place of a comparator, given that they have a comparator built into them. Not sure about that.

Ok, thanks!

I was indeed scratching my head, trying to think of a way with native units. Will just keep using the motion detector, works like a charm!

Hey @Joe , I’m a bit confused by the voltage bank after watching the video again but im seeing no header choices. How does it work now regarding inputs / index settings? Maybe im using an older version of Accents - not sure. Im using the ones from Github which i guess is 0.4.11

The header menu was replaced with a bypass toggle. So with the unit bypassed, you’ll hear the whatever CV is being fed to its input instead of the stored value at that index. This is a good way to find the voltages you want to store and the same as the previous input menu selection. Unbypassed you hear the stored voltage. This is the normal run mode, equivalent to the old index menu setting.

The change basically lets you change the mode using CV instead of having to go into the menu.

1 Like

Thanks Joe, I will have a play about with it today. This looks a lot of fun as an arp or sequencer with several chained together with the weighted coin toss and an octave shifter

2 Likes

noticing the Voltage Bank takes a fair amount of CPU. What rate does it run at? Any consideration to make a ‘light’ version that reacted at a lower speed range vs. Frame or audio rates?

1 Like

I’d like that too. Not sure if its possible at this point. Far as I know, most of the SDK objects don’t have options to set whether they update at frame vs. sample rate. The ones that do correspond to the UI layer Units that offer this option (e.g. Counter).

Maybe Brian will enlighten us in the case that I’ve missed something though. Totally possible that I have.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I coded that one so that the number of bank slots is just a variable. So it would be pretty easy, I think, to do a both VB8 and a VB4, with VB4 using less (roughly 50%) of the CPU. Is that worth doing?

Accents v0.4.25.0

NEW UNIT: AB Switch
FIXED: Logics unit now correctly saves logic operation with presets
JANITORIAL: Moved Linear Sampling VCA to Essentials category

Accents on GitHub

Thanks @NeilParfitt for the AB Switch idea. This is currently under Experimental.

Connect signals to the a and b subchains. If the ab toggle is low, signal a will be output. If the ab toggle is high, signal b will be output.

Pro tip: you can edit the ab control and change it to a gate control if you want this to be a momentary switch.

20 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for giving it a go!

Accents v0.4.25.1

NEW UNIT: Voltage Bank 2
NEW UNIT: Voltage Bank 4
NEW UNIT: XOXOXO (California Stars)
NEW UNIT: XOXO (Hey Little Sister)
NEW UNIT: XO (Firm Handshake)

Accents on GitHub

Voltage Bank 2 and Voltage Bank 4 are lighter weight versions of the Voltage Bank unit. They have only 4 and 2 available storage spots, respectively, and therefore are a bit lighter on CPU. They operate identically to the original Voltage Bank.

XOXOXO
XOXOXO is a six operator wavetable algorithmless phase modulation synthesizer. XOXO is a 4 operator version, and XO is a two operator version.

This overview video explains the architecture and controls. I was thinking I might do some patch walk through videos in the coming days if there is interest, so let me know with a like or whatever if those would be of benefit.

32 Likes

whoooaaaah! i’m blown away! this is groundbreaking! am i wrong or this(xoxoxo) is the first er301 device to feature multiple views? great stuff @Joe!!!
question: is there a way to get ratio to 0 and have the operators not tracking the v/oct so we can adjust just the offset with no tracking? a very good trick with fm synths imho!

1 Like

This is fantastic Joe, wow!!

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Scorpio has multiples too.

Good question, and I’m not sure yet. (Counting on you all to help me flesh these out and possibly debug them a bit). You can definitely set the ratio to zero and then set fine frequency controls to an offset amount. I believe the V/Oct offset will still affect it but not 100% sure without tracing back through the code. Let me know and I can take another look at it if it doesn’t behave quite as expected.

1 Like

oooh thanks, watching the video i had the idea that RATIO started from 1 not from 0 and i don’t know if in bespoke units is possible to edit controls and change their range.
i will give it a try tomorrow!!! thanks for the glorious work as usual Joe!

1 Like

They go from 0-24 but default to 1.0. Pretty sure you can still edit these controls if you want to change their range or anything else.

1 Like

perfect, will give it a go tomorrow and give some feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great stuff as usual, thanks for the hard work.

1 Like