Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Some new Units to share

bespoke-unit
custom-unit

I’ve seen the Voltage Bank and I think It will open up a huge amount of possibilities when my ER301 arrives … I have only one question (for the moment :grinning:) … Is it possible to increase the number of banks in order to have more than 8? Lets say, 32, 64, …

Yes it is. I wrote that code so that it would be extremely easy to change the number of slots. I haven’t reviewed the changes Brian made for the 0.4.04 port yet, but looking at the version of the code on github, you would just change lines 20 and 173 from 8 to whatever number of slots you want.

There is a trade off with CPU though. Doubling the number of slots roughly doubles the average CPU of this unit. So I felt 8 was about the right balance. It would also be easy to create multiple versions of the unit though, with different numbers of banks.

I would do the manual for .4 … as a new user I just jumped up to .4 after seeing that cusom units are now working. I am finding it fairly stable and working well. also I love things like the scope overview etc. so yeah…

I’d like to generate various multiples/divisions of an incoming clock simultaneously to combine these with @Joe 's Logics unit. Would I just create a Global Chain with a Tap Tempo unit for each multiple/division or is there a more elegant way to achieve this?

Thanks Joe! I’ll check that as soon as I have my ER … This Voltage Bank option creates huge possibilities for sequencing, and random chord progressions. I used to have 2 Mother 32’s with different length sequences to create a phase between each one. With the ER301 I could use several of the to create more complex evolving harmonies …

I’ll check the CPU use though … Hope I doesn’t take a lot!

That’s what I’d probably do. There’s also the Carousel Clock Divider in this library that can store and switch between 4 different divisions. It can be pretty fun with the Logics unit. With the Tap Tempo unit since it allows you to control the clock pulse width, changing that can get pretty interesting with various logic operations too.

From memory, the 8 slot version is ~3% CPU on the 48k standard latency firmware, so if you made a 16 it would be ~6%, 32 @ 12%, etc.

Another tip on this unit. You can turn on “sum” mode which effectively gives you a precision adder CV in. You could feed another Voltage Bank that is also animated somehow into the first, so you can do sequencer-sequencing-sequencer types of things. So in that respect two 8 slot Voltages banks might be > one 16 slot version.

Thanks @Joe I was also concerned about the CPU with multiple Tap Tempos, so one Tap Tempo plus two Clock Dividers are probably the way to go. I can multiply the incoming clock with Tap Tempo and then divide it with the Clock Dividers, but I think having multiply options directly in the Caurousel Clock Divider (or ideally pairs of multiply/divide for each “divider” like in Tap Tempo) would make it even more flexible. Just a thought. :wink:

Thanks Joe!

@Joe would you fix the link in the first post, it appears it’s still for the unported ones. Thanks for your work, I love them.

Actually I’m planning to leave that for anyone who wants to remain on stable firmware. But I will be adding the 0.4.04 versions soon and updating the repo.

Did anyone check the bespoke Compare unit on 0.4? I’m getting that ‘failed to load’ error …

I’m rebuilding the 4 voice poly sample player for the new formware and wanted to try it with the compare unit.

What version of the ported units are using? This was supposedly fixed 3 weeks ago.

I was participating in that discussion and replaced the bespoke units with your zip file, so unless something changed after that fix I should have the right versions. I didn’t check the Compare unit until today however.

Its loading OK for me on 0.4.08 48k standard latency version. Are you running another firmware? Or perhaps try downloading Brian’s fix again?

I’m confused or doing something wrong, I replaced the units with Brian’s ported to 04.05 zip content in the libs folder. Voltage Bank would not load. Several reboots and still no loading of these units. Tried re-installing the latest firmware 04.08 48k, and still no load. I removed the error.log file, and now the units will load but they don’t appear in the experimental section but are spread out in other sections.

Yeah, I’ve been moving them out of Experimental and into appropriate categories after a certain period of time with no bug reports.

No clue on why removing error.log made it work. That shouldn’t hurt anything as far as I know.

Ah right…I missed that I suppose…thanks

It works now! I unzipped the fixed units again, replaced them and removed the error log (just because it was suggested somewhere, not sure how that would make a difference though…) In any case, now also Compare works like the others. I wonder what went wrong the first time around. Oh well

Let’s compare stuff

Question about the voltage bank @Joe

I’m using it to give the manual grains unit “slice” controls essentially and I saved everything as a chain preset but it didnt retain the voltages. What’s the best way to save voltages in it? Save a preset in the unit itself, or as a manual grains preset? ideally I’d like to only have to load up one file, vs loading manual grains and then the voltage bank.

I don’t think there is currently a way to implement this. The Voltage Bank is an array of Track and Hold objects selected by Bump Scanners. I don’t see a public method to retrieve the current stored value to serialize it in the save.

I’m not sure if @odevices would be interested in developing something like this for the Track and Hold or if there are other plans for different storage objects that don’t exist yet (eg LUT) that might make it a moot point.