Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

SSB - (approximate frequency shifter)

hello people, new custom effect called SSB for single sideband…built with a quadrature sine (i use a gate to reset two sine osc phases, then enter 0.25 phase in the cosine one), sum and difference etc…
i read the other frequency shifter thread so please people if you try it tell me if this is any better than previous attempts! i’m liking the results but would love to know if this is also one correct way of doing it!
thank you!

SSB
SSB is an approximation of a frequency shifter unit. i say approximation because i don’t know if there is a way to do square root in the UI layer. this is a custom effect so put the preset in the appropriate folder.

controls:

• rst: a gate to reset sine osc’s phases. ITS NECESSARY YOU PRESS THIS ONCE FIRST!
  • tune: the amount of frequency shifting

cpu: about 18%
firmware: 0.4.19
requires: nothing
tips: be sure to hit the rst gate first because this resets the osc phases to obtain quadrature vco’s
try sequencing the “tune” parameter(even just with simple stepped random signals!)
ssb.unit (58.4 KB)
VERSION 2 (see below):
https://forum.orthogonaldevices.com/uploads/short-url/5lDMUtttsK71zQHlDzHNAm6oWpw.unit

8 Likes

new version! i keep also the first one cause this new one needs some further testing but… it halves cpu % :smiley: and adds linear frequency control:

SSB 2
same as the first one but with “f” , control for linear frequency shifting while “tune” is expo.
using internal routings i use 2 oscillators instead of 4, hence halving the cpu consumption.

controls:

• rst: a gate to reset sine osc’s phases. ITS NECESSARY YOU PRESS THIS ONCE FIRST!
  • tune : the exponential control for the amount of frequency shifting
  • f: the linear control for the amount of frequency shifting
    cpu : about 9%
    firmware : 0.4.19
    requires : nothing
    tips : be sure to hit the rst gate first because this resets the osc phases to obtain quadrature vco’s
    try sequencing the “tune” parameter(even just with simple stepped random signals!), use the “f” for precise linear adjustments or for low frequency or audio rate modulation of shifting!
    ssb 2.unit (44.7 KB)
2 Likes

i bet we could come up with a cheap “auto-firing one-time gate” for that reset input :slight_smile:

maybe just a positive offset into a microdelay? wonder if the buffer initializes empty (@odevices what do you think?)

1 Like

that might be nice but the necessity of resetting phases stimulates users to not be lazy imho :smiley:
and also might end up with happy accidents with phases not being in perfect quadrature :smiley:

1 Like

here a three-bands preset with 3 bpf (requires @Joe’s accents) and 3 ssb :slight_smile:
multi ssb.unit (158.3 KB)

1 Like

2 Likes