Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Step Record with Joysticks

request

Hi Brian, i know i mentioned this request on Muff but i figured i would put it here. Obviously you are probably still in the deep end of finishing the 301 but i will love you for ever when you get a chance to maybe put these feature into the 102.

1 - Quantized - gate and duration while in step record mode. would also be cool to set max of duration and gate ranges as well.

2 - I was also wondering if there was a way to offset the voltage input for CV. I am sure i could do this with external offsets but it would be easier to do this consistently with the 102.
To give you an idea of what i mean - say i am using a joystick y axis to record pitch it would be nice to have the center position of the joystick be middle c and when going up on the y axis it goes up in pitch and down (-voltage) it goes down in pitch. would be cool to set octave ranges as well.

My dream is to use 2 intellijel planars with my 101/102 in step record. 1 planar to record Pitch and CV2 and the other planar to record quantized duration and gate while having one of the planars gate outs triggering the insert on the 102.

i hoped this all made sense and just want to say this sequencer is a god send. really brilliant work

I haven’t forget about the step record quantization request, Jason :wink:

The second request is a good one. It turns out, a few months ago I traded an ER-301 for two Planars and a uVCA with Danjel. While using them I also occasionally wished for a zeroing feature (which is how I am interpreting the offset part of your request). As usual, the hard part will be figuring out the UI but regardless its on the queue.

yeah a 0 - ing option is exactly what i would want. would be cool to have that option for all parameters (duration,pitch,cv,gate).

did it make sense also to have min/max limits to the parameters? like say i wanted to limit the min and max of a gate length (duration/pitch/cv) so you can use the joystick more precisely.

anyways i am just spit balling, i just like the step record feature that much with the planar

Yes. It made sense. I tend to gravitate more towards offset (aka zeroing) and scaling but a range-based UI could work too. I still have to think it through in detail but something like this right?

Proposed min/max method

1. Hold calibrate button on ER-102 and move joystick from one extreme to the next.
  2. Release calibrate button. ER-102 now knows the full range of output values of your joystick.
  3. For each parameter, focus min value display, use the left knob to change the min value for that parameter.(defaults to zero).
  4. For each parameter, focus max value display, use the right knob to change the max value for that parameter.(defaults to 99).

Guys, I don’t have an ER-101/ER-102 yet (will order as soon as I can) but I love where this conversation has gone and dig the idea of using my Planar in this capacity. Wow.

Exactly. I will literally be glued to my planars and 101/102 if this stuff gets implemented.

Timefire, i already use my planar with the 101/102 and its really a killer pair as it is now. for sure if this stuff got implemented it would expand on how awesome step record works

Where is the “calibrate button”? I don’t see that designation on the front panel.

No calibration button exists. We are just talking about proposals at the moment.

I see. Sorry for not paying close enough attention.

Hey OD. know you are probably still deep in the ER-301 coding but was wondering if this feature for the 101/102 is still a possibility

thanks

@jasontalton

Sorry for the wait! A version of this request is now available in v2.16.

Synopsis
Similar to the real-time recording config screen that is shown when you press ARM, there is now a step recording config screen. There are 4 values that may be configured, corresponding to each step parameter:

CV-A
This display shows the index value selected by the current voltage present at A-1 (cv-a). It will update in real-time as the A-1 voltage changes. Set the A-1 voltage to some reference value (e.g. move your joystick to the middle position). Then, use the RIGHT KNOB to offset the index value up or down.

CV-B
This display shows the index value selected by the current voltage present at A-2 (cv-b). It will update in real-time as the A-2 voltage changes. Set the A-2 voltage to some reference value (e.g. move your joystick to the middle position). Then, use the RIGHT KNOB to offset the index value up or down.

DURATION
This display shows the quantization amount for the DURATION parameter. Use the RIGHT KNOB to set it to any value from 1 to 99.

GATE
This display shows the quantization amount for the GATE parameter. Use the RIGHT KNOB to set it to any value from 1 to 99.

oh wow cant wait to try this out… man thanks so much

hey sorry to bump a 1000year old thread but i had a question. Not sure if this is already a feature but is there a way to “choke” the number of octaves that the CVA/B can go to. Not sure if choke is the right word but i would like to limit the amount of octaves my cv input can go to in the step record mode