Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Step recording feature request (and a bug with delete...?)

bug
request

Can we add an alter mode to the step recorder?

So instead of inserting a new step with values sampled from the recording inputs, it would instead update the current step.

I could see this being done as config.ini option:

[Step Recording]

; Assign D-1 and D-2 inputs
;
; insert - inserts a new note at the edit cursor
; delete - deletes the notes at the edit cursor
; alter - updates the note at the edit cursor
D-1 = insert
D-2 = alter

Other potentially interesting options might be:

; advance - move the edit cursor forward one
; passthrough - route A-1 and A-2 to the armed tracks CV-A and CV-B, use this input as the gate

Bug report: Triggering delete has not effect in step mode.

Steps to reproduce, get insert mode up and working, confirm it by inserting some notes. Then disconnect the cable from D-1 and move to D-2, when D-2 is triggered no deletes occur.

Can anyone else confirm?

(I’ve checked that input is working as I can use it in real time record mode.)

edit: This was on firmware v2.16, just seen v2.18 is available too. Should I try that?

Oops. I totally missed this one.

Bug confirmed and feature request added to the ER-102 Tracker.

I’ve been thinking about the passthrough option a bit more… and I’ve come up with more questions than answers, which makes me think it’s a bit half-baked as an idea.

• What’s the workflow for turning it off again?
  • Surely, you’d want it to use the D-1 / insert jack for gate as that’s where you’ve connected your keyboard to.

Anyway, whenever others have asked me for feature additions by describing solutions I always tell them to back up and explain the problem they are trying to solve first.

So…

At the moment, when I’m using the step recorder (my main method of recording), I have my keyboard connected to A-1 and D-1, but often I wish to play with ideas before entering them, so at the moment, I switch to real time recording and move the gate cable from D-1 to AD-1 and push some of the panel buttons.

I’d like to simplify this process. I want to be able to quickly audition melodies from step recording mode.

(only if it’s easy / elegant to do, after all I do have a process for doing it at the moment)

Tangentely real time recording passthrough doesn’t work when the sequencer is paused (as stated in the manual).

Is there a reason for this?