Suggestions on how to do pitch shifting usingthe 301?

Perhaps a bit of DSP newbie question. Can anyone describe how to build a pitch shifting chain on the ER-301?

Thanks.

What are you trying to pitch shift? Samples?

If you are talking about realtime time stretching then way I do it is using a looper with a chosen buffer length then share that buffer with a sample player that has pitch control. I like using the speed parameter to do my pitch work/tuning.

Real time input. Mostly oscillators.

Thanks. Can you elaborate a bit on “chosen buffer length”?

Well you will need to create a buffer for the loopers to work.
When creating the buffer you can choose time or beats for the length.
Once you create it, say it’s called buffer 1234
Then load up your chosen sample player and assign the buffer 1234 as it’s source. It will then play that buffer that is being recorded to.
Now you can have fun with pitch shifting.
I like to put both the looper and player in a mixer so I can mix in the pitched version with the original.
You may also need to use a reset to trigger the beginning of the looper and player. Messing with resets or not you can get some really cool poly rhythmic stuff and interesting melodies. This is happening because changing the pitch of the buffer will also change the speed.
I think there is a player that won’t mess with the speed but I prefer the speed control, I get better results.

Be aware that currently this method isn’t fool proof or perfect and you will get some clicks and odd playback. I use this as part of “character” of my processed material.
It will be fixed in the future afaik.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

I would love to be able to do this, so i could leave my pitch fork pedals at home. Which looper do you use and how do you set it up? Hey @Joe and @NeilParfitt do you guys have any ideas on how to accomplish realtime pitch shifting?

there’s there shared buffer technique using a looper and a grains, but more simply would be the pitch shifting delay set to wet. Just set the delay time as low as possible.

I haven’t really discovered a technique that will get the results that the Electro Harmonix pedal does. I’ve actually had the least luck with the Grain Delay at 100% wet. Some transpositions sound OK to my ear, for example, a perfect 5th often sounds pretty good, or an octave. Others like a 3rd or 4th I usually just don’t get a result that I like from it - a lot of times it sounds more like an artifacted version of the input to my ear… It seems to somewhat depend on the input signal. Sometimes a perfect major third won’t sound good but a 3rd + an octave is OK.

I’ve probably had the best results with the method @cosmicsoundexplorer describes using the Dub Looper and Variable Speed Player with a shared buffer, but you will get artifacts when the play and record heads cross as of right now.

This video was made on an older firmware but might help guide you to set it up.

1 Like