Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Syncing a loop to a clock in v0.3

definitely did

Then slices are ignored. A trigger should definitely be resetting your drum loop to the beginning.

i’m running v.03.0 so i’m gonna update right now to make sure its not a fixed bug

That’s a good idea. In general, if you are going to be using the unstable firmware then you will want to make sure to have the latest one.

v0.3.02 CHANGES

FIXED: Preamp Settings > Crash on load/save preset.
FIXED: Grain Stretch + Sample Player > Not responding to triggers in some modes.

ok i rebuilt the chain with 0.3.05 and the triggering works fine now, but the loop is definitely not sync’d

it’s definitely responding to the clock in some way. when i change the clock speed, it responds, but it is out of sync with the kick i have going along with it.

Not sync’ed means wrong speed or wrong phase?

wrong speed… i tried manually adjusting the gain on the speed subchain and with this loop it sounds close to right around .7

Speed bias is set to zero?

How many beats is your loop? Is it exact? If not, set How Often? to once.

bias is definitely 0. i’ve got a folder full of drum breaks that are all 1 or 2 measures long and i’ve cut them to be perfect loops already.

What are you doing for this step?

• Set the source of the trig sub-chain to your sync signal (once per loop).

Here is a way to debug the rest of the patch:

• Set the speed gain to zero and the bias back to 1.0.
  • Adjust your 1ppqn clock tempo so that the kick tempo matches the drum loop tempo.

Is everything sync’ed?

At 120 BPM, a 1PPQN clock runs at a frequency of 2Hz. If you put a pulse-to-Hz unit in the speed sub-chain of a grain stretch unit and and feed it that 120 BPM clock, you need to divide by two to achieve a speed value of 1.0. So, that’s the first scaling factor – 0.5.

Unfortunately, the grain stretch unit doesn’t know anything about the length of your samples. If your loops are all one measure of 4/4 at 120 BPM (ergo, 2 second loops), then the scaling factor of 0.5 will work just fine. If your loops are not one measure of 4/4 at 120 BPM, you need to scale by the ratio of the loop’s tempo to the “nominal” tempo (120 BPM).

Given that you found that 0.7 seems to give good results, I take it that your loops are 168 BPM (0.5 × 168 / 120 = 0.7).

So, assuming 4/4 loops and a 1PPQN clock, you can use the formula 0.5 × LOOP_BPM / 120 to find the scaling factor for the speed control.

Indeed! Thanks @miminashi. That looks correct to me too. In my (weak) defense, I was using a sample where a male was counting down a rocket launch from 10 to 0 at… you guessed it, 60BPM. :sweat_smile:

I guess that means that we don’t have tempo-synced time-stretched loops yet. :bowing_man:

Excellent thread, thanks all!

sorry if this is obvious, but can you record clock synced loops? like the pedal looper but clock synced? Id like to create something with the er301 like the bitbox module, where you have a bunch of synced loopers and you can record into any of them in real time and mute and un mute them, overdub to them, etc.
any ideas you have would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Brandon

This is very easy with a sequencer, but would you like to do it all in the 301?

yes… im talking about audio loops not recorded cv loops

Yeah, me too :slight_smile:

Just send a gate from your sequencer on the first beat to a loopers punch input.

Quantized audio recording.

You could also do this wit the clock modules within the er301. Maybe something like creating a clock unit in the punch, er, ’slot’, then putting a VCA after that and assigning an offset to that VCA. That way you could just open the VCA with a knob, which would result in gates being sent to the punch input in sync.

on the actual unstable release we have clocked players now. you have to set clock source and div\mult and it’s all in the module itself. pretty great, i’m using it a lot for chopped up breakbeats, works great.

It sounds like you are describing the Dub and Feedback Looper units which both have reset controls that can be used to sync, but I’m pretty sure you know about them already. So perhaps I am missing something in your question? :thinking: