Techniques for Real-time Data-driven Synthesis

Most recently, yes. I’ve tried this experiment using the sample player, pitch shifting delay, and manual grains.

So far nothing has been perfect - each method has some trade offs in the form of either artifacts of some sort, or lag behind any adjustments or modulations to the source oscillator.

I should probably mention [just in case it’s not obvious] that I’m not necessarily expecting any of this to work. I realize I’m off in left field here, seeing what I can coerce the ER-301 to do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice work! Sounds fantastic! Can’t wait to try it out!

thanks, well the idea is yours!
i just realized that it’s a mono unit only so by making a stereo unit there are of course left and right delay times to be modulated so by adding different modulation the wowandflutter could either be too extreme or too diffused…but maybe it would sound great nonetheless, i will try.

2 Likes

Stoked to finish writing papers for the day and try this out :paintbrush:

ooo! We can embed audio now? :smiley:

just wanted to ask @odevices if you think it’s possible to have this recorder - player setup without the occasional clicks? i use my 301 more and more as real time audioinput processor and find it fits my workflow best this way. you mentioned earlier that maybe you find a way around that colliding record-play head problem, is this still a possibility?

I consider it an important usage scenario so I will expend quite a bit of energy solving it. I have a bunch of ideas on how to do it too.

The basic idea will be to push a copy of the un-dubbed audio that is about to be overdubbed into a ring buffer. Then whenever a play-head approaches the record-head, fade into the un-dubbed material that was saved on the ring buffer instead. So by the time the play-head reaches the record-head’s position the mix will be 100% of the un-dubbed material in the ring buffer and 0% of the looper buffer (which has the click in it). If the play-head is going in reverse you would fade out instead.

This technique will only allow one record-head per buffer but allow multiple play-heads.

16 Likes

sounds good, complicated but great! this undubbed material in the ring buffer still has the same speed information i assume?

When i read all this awesome stuff from this forum, I’m beginning to be pretty sure that this module will be one of the future classics because of all these wise and genious people in this community. This module has so much potential and I’m really happy to see that how many clever people it has gathered in the same place! This module is like a sandbox and everyone has their own way to play with it!

6 Likes

is this ring buffer ability still in the works? looking forward to clicks real time buffers

1 Like

Was starting to look at pedals with lofi abilities when I happened on this.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get it working with the current firmware?

I’m afraid I’m pretty clueless about this sort of thing…
Thanks

Why do you think it’s not working with the current firmware? It tests ok here.

1. Insert a new empty custom unit.
  2. Focus press the custom unit header and choose “Load Preset”
  3. Navigate to Wow Flutter.lua and load it up
  4. By default the unit takes its input from IN1.

Or is there something else going on? (My test was just to quickly verify it still works.)

Thank you, Joe.
I think I just loaded it wrong and didn’t know enough to find my way.
Works fine now.
And thanks for the detailed instructions. :+1:

1 Like

i just wanted to bump this one again. hoping for a click free way to play with real time sampling!
:+1:

3 Likes

Same here!
Been having an amazing time building all sorts of fun realtime processors, just being held back by those clicks.

3 Likes

Same here 100%

i guess you guys don’t like tyme sefari mk2 then :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
just kidding :smiley: (i love the clicky way of ts2)

1 Like

Clicky / glitched for sure has its place, but sometimes smooth sine tones are called for too
:slight_smile:

1 Like

of course :slight_smile: i’m really curious to see how Brian will solve this issue that’s not easy at all to find solutions for! but i’m sure he’ll come up with an elegant way as usual

1 Like

the thing about clicks is that if it’s a central part of a loop, eg it happens often and is part of the “patina” then i like it, just as with noise. but here in this case the clicks stand out and for me definitely don’t sound as if they are part of a sound, they just sound like an errors… i really do hope that brian finds a solution for this, in a way, this is the only thing i wish for the er301!

5 Likes