Techniques for Real-time Data-driven Synthesis

Same here 100%

i guess you guys don’t like tyme sefari mk2 then :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
just kidding :smiley: (i love the clicky way of ts2)

1 Like

Clicky / glitched for sure has its place, but sometimes smooth sine tones are called for too
:slight_smile:

1 Like

of course :slight_smile: i’m really curious to see how Brian will solve this issue that’s not easy at all to find solutions for! but i’m sure he’ll come up with an elegant way as usual

1 Like

the thing about clicks is that if it’s a central part of a loop, eg it happens often and is part of the “patina” then i like it, just as with noise. but here in this case the clicks stand out and for me definitely don’t sound as if they are part of a sound, they just sound like an errors… i really do hope that brian finds a solution for this, in a way, this is the only thing i wish for the er301!

5 Likes

Totally feel the same way. The type of processing fx im building in the 301 is so inspiring and awesome. I really wish it didn’t have clicks. Hopefully we will see a solution soon in firmware 4.

1 Like

I’ll definitely be getting to this in v0.5.xx :wink:

Let’s play a little game: Raise your hand if you were surprised to hear clicks when playing from a buffer that is simultaneously being recorded to! :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Hahah hands up here - I was a little but as I said, I kind of (stupidly?) assumed that the (grain) start parameter was applied relative to the record head position.

So I assumed that if I found clicks, they could be avoided by manipulating the start parameter, keeping playback behind the record head at all times. My bad.

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:
me, because I know you can do better!
:grin:

1 Like

I was not at all surprised to hear these clicks, but I would have been amazed if there weren’t! Would love it if that was a feature.

1 Like

I was surprised because my only other experience of using buffers was in Max/MSP and I feel pretty sure that when I had a record unit and a granular unit sharing a buffer I wasn’t getting clicks when recording and playing at the same time. Let me dig up my patch and test if that was true, maybe there’s some insight on how to avoid clicks from the C74 community.

That said, it makes complete sense why we’re hearing clicks, so not super surprised?

1 Like

Hi Brian, was playing around in this area again. While I am very appreciative of the developments in 0.4, I wondered if this was still on your radar for 0.5?

I know there was some discussion about clickless pitch-shifted grain playback being achieved via a new looping buffer. That does sound amazing, but I did wonder if there is a more simple way to get the results I am looking for. Basically could it be implemented so that grain playback start position can be chosen relevant to the position of the record head?

I presume is is the approach taken by most vendors in this real-time granular pitch-shifting area, either using a FIFO buffer (and compensating grain playback for the movement of the buffer), or to start grain playback at a position that is a known distance behind the record head in a looping circular buffer.

In this case, if the buffer is long enough pitched down grains won’t encounter the record head. Pitched up grains will need a minimum position behind the head to not collide (introducing some latency in the pitch shifted path, but for shimmer reverbs etc that not much of an issue).

John

4 Likes

Yes, it is definitely still on the radar :bowing_man: I haven’t made the plan for v0.5 yet though.

I’m aware of the FIFO technique, in fact, that is exactly what is used in the Grain Delay unit.

5 Likes

hi brian, sorry to bother you with this again, but since you released v0.5 i thought you might have an update on this topic?

3 Likes

The current plan is to get back to this in v0.7.

4 Likes

Glad it’s still on the roadmap… I am very much looking forward to this, I think this particular feature is a really big piece of the jigsaw for me.

thanks for your answer brian. i guess it is a difficult task and needs a lot of time.

the er301 is to me the perfect recording/sampling machine yet flawless manipulation of live recording is crucial…so in a way this is the only thing i’m waiting for :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Checking in on any suggestions for mitigating clicks when using manual grains from a live buffer. It sounds like a ‘looping’ or ‘ring’ buffer is on Brian’s radar for the eventual v0.7, but in the meantime has anyone found a clever interim solution, possibly while working in the low or mid levels?

possible declicking (via fade, this is better for big samples and not raw waveforms) / cut on 0-crossing (without fade) shortcut for sample editing? that’s how most DAW samplers (that are good) solve it.

hi brian,

you probably don’t need a bump for this but i’m doing it anyway. :grimacing:
i really hope this is coming with the 0.7 firmware?!

1 Like