Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Tesseract Modular is prototyping a new twist on the 16n faderbank and it looks awesome! :D

Very nice looking module. I’m curious how well 16 channels of CV conversion works in practice, given the limited bandwidth afforded by the I2C bus. Are there any demos of this thing in action?

1 Like

I’d prefer just the inputs to save space, attenuation could be done in the ER-301. But, to be clear, I’m just thinking out loud—I’m not in the market for something like this right now.

That’s true, but those pots surely would save tons of patch diving time.
Same goes for the faders, of course :wink:

The only thing that I would struggle with on the potentiometer version:
They appear to be plastic shafts?
It’s more of a question of taste, but I’d prefer metal shafts with 18T, so I can put my favorite 10mm Aluminium knobs on them. Agreed, the layout would need some more hp, but the feeling is probably worth it…
2cents, of course:grinning:

1 Like

thx for the input, the footprint for tall trimmers is also ok for 9mm metal pots, maybe just give some more room between them.

attenuation yes, but if you don’t have an offset control on the first stage the CV could be not traduced the right way, like missing all negative part of an LFO for example, and with a fixed offset, half of the resolution will be lost when using only positive voltages apart of having the i2c data offset. The only smart alternative to pots would be adding slide switches to make input bipolar or jumpers in the back…IMO

1 Like

great,

how much room would you choose for metal pots (18T)
so that some 10mm knobs can be comfortably wiggled with?
i love these (they are black with white marker an 18T inlay)

1 Like

being realistic (the image I shared isn’t), if you want 2 rows of 8 pots in a eurorack module the result is really like a ‘line’ of knobs, so those lines need to be as much separated as possible in order to use your fingers (like 25mm from pot to pot in horizontal, which will give 15mm of room for your fingers with a 10mm knob)

1 Like

With the faderbank we needed
. pull up resistors on it,
. Master flag defined and
. power up the faderbank after the er301 had fully
Booted.

Has the sweet sixteen those pull up resistors on board?
And is the power up sequence still needed?

The Sweet Sixteen has not those pull-up resistors by default, but they can be soldered pretty easy, but that will make the pull-up permanent, so after a conversation with a customer I came up to design a small pcb that fits perfect in the back of the module and allows to swap on & off the pull-up with 2 jumpers.

4 Likes

Today I received my Sweet Sixteen module. After installing the 4,6K pull-up resistors I’ve realized that as Mopoco said, the module must be powered up after the ER301 has fully booted. Fortunatelly adding a few lines of code into the Arduino firmware with several seconds delays solved the problem.

2 Likes

Great to hear of actual usage reports! Would love to see some more or even a video if possible of how the modules work together and how to add that code in the firmware for the boot delay.

1 Like

I’ve added that to the firmware also, but didn’t uploaded to github yet,
this in the config tab:

#define bootDelay 12000

and this in the main tab just after the #include “config.h”:

#ifdef bootDelay
delay(bootDelay);
#endif

how long should the module wait to boot up? A customer told me that 12 seconds if you make the ER-301 to load the last patch, is that correct?

1 Like

how about the i2C address? does it need to be 0x31 instead of 0x34?

Yes. The address is 0x31, and with 10 seconds delay is enough …

1 Like

to be exact: firmware 0.4.26 48kHz supports
0x31,
0x32 and
0x33
in
admin/system settings/set I2C slave address (last entry)

1 Like

Interesting stuff and thank you for sharing. I’m following and hopefully ordering one myself soon. It still sounds a bit like Chinese to me as a noob. I would love to see it in action. It sounds all very complicated to make it work well together… but is it really so?

which part?
due to the relative novelty of the underlying 16n, especially in combination
with our beloved er301 (as far as i remember and understand, it was initially
developed with teletype in mind) there had to be some problems to solve.
the thing with the pull up resistors and the boot up order for example.
when @M4ngu has finished his hard- and softwarewise adjustments
you won’t have to neither understand that lingo nor deal with…

1 Like

Yes, I’m very much looking forward to a fool proof solution like this. That would be awesome!

1 Like

oh, it’s certainly not fool proof. :rofl:

10 sec is probably too long. I power up my 16n maybe 3 sec after booting the 301 and it has never faltered. 5 seconds should be enough.

1 Like