The buffer gets erased..?

hi,
this is a stupid question i guess, but i was a bit shocked.
i just started to use the sample side of the er301.
what i do is to use the pedal looper for recording, than copy this to an audio buffer.
than open up the sample player for instance and use the sample there.
so far so good, i did a small piece and made a quick safe, thinking that everything will be saved into that.

when i just re opened this quicksafe, all the buffer loop files are there, but… they are all empty…

does the buffer really gets erased? whats the point of that?

if this is on purpose it means i have to record with the pedal looper, copy this to a buffer, than safe the buffer as a file to disk, and than assign this to a player… wow.
this workflow stuff could compete with the octatrack…

sorry for the rant, a bit pissed that all the recordings are gone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Buffers are not file-backed samples. To convert a buffer to a file-backed sample you have to go to the Pool and save it to a file. This goes for any buffers created during a session.

The good thing is (correct me if i’m wrong) once you save the buffer once, it will be there on the file system and anything you write to it in your looper will be there next time. You dont have to keep saving, just the first time.

I was thinking of this just the other day. For sampling purposes, I’d love to have a function where you can just save a file with one button press, maybe with some auto-naming convention implemented.

I’m sure others will come up with much more clever ways to accomplish a sampling workflow that has the minimum amount of button presses, but that was my thinking at the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI, some of you guys do things that piss me off too :wink: but then again I’m not allowed to rant because its not like you want feedback from me. Ah the unfairness of it all. lol. :laughing:

8 Likes

Sorry - if you ever feel the need to rant about anything I have done then feel free to go for it in PM, I do want the feedback!

Life… you know! :slight_smile:

I’m with you on this. Some kind of auto buffer/file saving mechanism could streamline the sampling/mangling workflow a lot and make it more fun to use (also looking at you pedal looper).

also, whats wrong with an option for saving the pool on quicksave? I mean, the buffers had to be named before.

also: rants sometimes make it into features :wink:

Nothing is wrong with it. Did I say that? :thinking:

1 Like

haha, no you didn’t.
though since that part wasn’t picked up in your answer, I just assumed it is a crazy idea, sorry for that!
or maybe it is? any comment on that front? :slight_smile:

I just wanted to express that I too had this moment in the past when I expected a quicksave to include a full snapshot, including samples.

Not crazy at all. I just haven’t figured out a nice way of handling this situation yet. I have ideas but I don’t really like any of them yet. Some of the solutions require me to make a number of decisions for the user which I try not to do. The other direction is to lead the user through the necessary number of save-file dialogs whenever they try to save a quicksave or preset with unsaved buffers but I can see that being highly annoying in certain situations.

2 Likes

considering the first post in this thread this seems to me a fail safe way to go without taking decisions away from the user. i got to know this kind of solution with my cirklon sequencer. and though it annoyed me pretty much in the beginning, now that i got used to potentially millions of save-file dialogs, i really can appreciate that considerate behaviour of the machine: since to me it turned out far more annoying to loose elaborate edits than to go through the detailed save dialogs…(by ignoring them and hitting always the same answer)

how about a system setting that gets rid of the save-file-dialog-annoyance (with save-file dialogs being the default)?

why not just have some sort of “easy mode” where files automatically are named and saved in a special location…
the moment i hit “save” in the pedal looper i know the file is named and stored in a bin.
and let the user have the option to use it or not…

1 Like

This kind of thing has been on the table also, but it has some complications that I need to work through. This is one of the reasons why v0.3 has not been declared stable yet. The ramifications of certain features introduced in v0.3 are still being worked out and this is one of them.

Maybe this kind of stuff is obvious to you guys but just the act of thinking about and designing potential solutions (not even including the implementation) for this aspect (i.e. persistence especially) of the ER-301 takes me for ever and ever! :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

And just in case I sound ungrateful, these suggestions are very much appreciated! Please keep them coming. :bowing_man:

4 Likes

I think we’re all glad you take your time, it keeps turning out awesome so don’t stop that!! :pie:

I also like the “idea” of not having to name/save things – but as a caveat I’d say:

1. I’m not sure how that would be in practice. Are there then dozens and dozens of buffers that were auto saved (that I didn’t know about) and finding a specific one becomes a pain… etc etc.

2. How it is now, you save once then that buffer and its contents persist (through quick saves etc.) without having to save again, ever --that has been working well for me in practice. Its just that first time where you don’t know you have to save that causes the uncertainty, and after you lose a buffer once, you have this nervous feeling that it might happen again sometime unknowingly.

I dunno though :smiley:

1 Like

i also think that how it is now is the best way. after a couple of lost buffers you’ll surely remember to save :smiley:
it is the same in the octatrack with recorder buffers. if you don’t save and then assign the sample to a slot and then reassign the track to the new slot you loose what you recorded.

with the bonus that in the 301 you just have to remember to save and voilà! you don’t have to reassign anything :slight_smile:

Brian i know it’s being said infinite times but i have to add:
the UI of the er-301 is absolutely the BEST user experience i had with any kind of music making hardware or software. (i’m 41, 20 years or more into making electronic music with various kind of setup, hardware and software, i’m a certified ableton live trainer and teaching people how to produce and perform electronic music is my daily job).
this is so intuitive, fluid, easy, inspiring, inviting you to dive deeper and deeper into it, so brilliantly designed that when i turn off the modular i’m almost sad to have to quit the 301 :slight_smile:
i watched tons of videos and read the wiki in the two months of wait but have to say you only appreciate how amazing this module is when you actually use it.
massive compliments and thanks for giving us this gem.

2 Likes

The octatrack is a mess. It’s way to complicated. The er301 is much better and more easy, but it can get even more easy, which should be the goal here:-) of course I absolutely like what Brian does, but like always there is room for development.

To have a mode where samples are saved and named automatically would be great, such things are a boost for creativity.
There’s a reason why things like the op-1 just feel natural to use… of course that’s no comparison, but the workflow style is an important thing!

1 Like