The Loudness Wars... are over?

Just to try and answer myself, it really depends how the clipping is being measured and a second could actually quite a long time, i.e 243 clips could be individual samples out of what would be erm, 44.1 kHz at standard CD definition; 44100 samples a second.

Crazy talk:
In which case it could be a deliberate technique to increate energy in the track, I really want to try clipping an even distribution of individual samples on an otherwise well mixed and appropriately produced music. I wonder what it would do… is it possible it would add something but the listener not really be aware of it??

My current DAW (Studio One) won’t even let me clip a file when mixing down. It literally throws up a message saying it clipped and throws it away. There’s probably a switch to disable that behavior but I’ve chosen to leave it on, figuring if I’m going to clip on purpose, I should do it before the mix-down stage.

1 Like

I have started using Studio One recently (after the Presonus arrived) and I noticed that once too, hehe :slight_smile:

I didn’t bother looking to turn it off either, it’s pretty handy.

What would be good is a way to test the L*KS values… I might get round to investigating that at some point.

1 Like

All you have to do is take that sample (or submix) and hard limit it while upping the input gain. Lopping off the transient would be the same as redlining the output… except you can position this anywhere, volume-wise.

1 Like

That Sound on Sound article is fantastic. I love it when they go all out with the gory details. I wish there was more writing like that in the world.

The times they are a’ changing…
http://productionadvice.co.uk/spotify-reduced-loudness/

1 Like