Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Thread To Break The Forum Silence Part 2

Back in mid-2017 during a particularly quiet period here on the forum, I started a thread to foster some small talk while the next firmware was being worked on. I didn’t want to nudge or bother Brian about what specifically he was working on as that would just distract him from the seriously important stuff.

Now here we are a few years later and that old thread has over 600 comments so I thought it might be time to start Part 2. You see, I’m back at that point where I’m checking in here all the time looking for hints regarding firmware v0.6.0.

Don’t read anything into that, I’m not really missing anything like I might have been back when v0.2.0 was fresh but this version 0.6.0 has seemingly been getting a lot of work. Such a long silence portends interesting stuff for the many hundreds of us who are die-hard fans of the mighty ER-301 and now with each passing day, the buildup of excitement starts to become excruciating. In a good way of course.

I can no longer remember which version of firmware shipped on the unit that I received on December 7, 2016, but I have saved a copy of the first one I installed which was ER-301-bleeding-edge-48kHz that was released the day I received my module.

I wonder how many things have been added since those days Brian sent out the first batch of ER-301’s. Who out on our planet was the first person to receive their Sound Computer? What will v0.6.0 bring by way of surprise and when might it arrive?

1 Like

I am very interested in the potential of the command bus, and am also interested in the deeper dev tools we will eventually have access to. There are still so many capabilities I haven’t even scratched the surface of yet.

I just recently started using the sample scanner and it is so powerful. I really hope we can eventually scan through multiple samples, that way you could do morphing waveshaping effects, or have a dial that can go between exponential conversion to logarithmic.

1 Like

Brian was :smile:

2 Likes

Seems like the low level SDK might be in the works just based on the post Brian made about success with a linker. I’m looking forward to that. Not sure what I might be able to do there. It has been decades (God, I’m old lol) since I’ve done any DSP programming. But I think this will be a fun environment to try to wade back in. Wonder who out there will try their hand at it. Seems like we’ve had a few over the years that weren’t interested in coding for the 301 until the lower level is available.

I think my 301 shipped with firmware v 0.2 as well. We’ve come a long way since then, eh? I’m just thinking about how much has been added to the sample player alone since then!

Agree, @warpigs330 the command bus I think will take things to a whole new level once again when it arrives. I’m not even sure exactly what to expect there, but I have a hunch it will be really flexible and powerful.

3 Likes

Is that the sound of v0.6.0 I hear in the distance???

2 Likes

Sounds like a herd trampling and shaking the earth! :joy: