Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Thread To Break The Forum Silence

smalltalk

Not me, trying to lighten the load!

It’s great, huge improvements over Braids and ridiculously good value for money, but I already have more than enough oscillators I am very happy with, and really looking forward to see what the other new modules will be!

I did! I think it’ll make a great Rings buddy :slight_smile:

Yeah, there’s been more than a few exciting releases over the past month, and I have a feeling that more goods are on the near horizon. I’m waiting a bit before making any other purchases, but Plaits is close to the top of the list for sound sources–right up there with the new Piston Honda.

What are you thinking of here?

Aside from the aforementioned modules I’m excited about Magneto and Fumana :slightly_smiling_face:

It certainly seems spring is in the air :sunflower:

Also, I’m just a couple months away from finishing my degree, so I haven’t been paying super close attention to new releases as of late - it’s news to me that new Mutable offerings are imminent. Definitely interested on that front as well!

I pre-ordered Plaits because it appeared just as I was weighing up getting either Rings or uBraids or waiting for WMDs Fracture. It seems like it covers some functionality of all three.

Another reason I pre-ordeted is that it was going to ship within a week! I don’t usually pre-order anything because I can’t stand the wait!

You have to admire Oliviers careful, considered approach to module design. Apparently Plaits was refined for over 2 years.

I wonder which module has the longest ever development time…

Was a Meh moment for me. Great module but in light of what I have not even a faint hint of interest.

2d

I do admire Olivier but find that he is a little too in love with what he perceives are worthwhile pursuits. Very much feels like Apple products in that regard. If you like his approach you’ll love the product. I know this sounds harsh, but I you assure I don’t mean it to be as bad as it might sound. I really respect his business model and ethics. I do think he cares about his customers and wants to make the best products he can for them.

I also recognize him as the champion of making modules that could do more than one thing. He certainly helped to popularize the concept.

To bring this back on point though I just see plaits as a swing and miss. This is because with digital modules I look at the platform as more crucial than the software because the software can be updated and continually refined. This means that you will never attain more than your platform permits.

So with modules like the 301, synthbox, and the SSP I just don’t personally have any reason to get a smaller weaker digital platform based module.

This is certainly looking at it from a engineering based perspective and I realize might not make sense, but it is the reason why I’m not super pumped for it.

2d

I think most people look at Plaits as an instrument and not a digital platform, despite what’s running under the hood. What sounds does it make? Is the physical interface easy to use? How does it interact with other modules (Rings/etc).

I don’t think Olivier has ever had a ‘swing and miss’ :grin:

Yeah. I’m happy that I have modules that can’t by any stretch of the imagination be called platforms. They aren’t updated, which means the goalposts aren’t moving, which means I can focus on scoring :slight_smile:

I’m aware that people don’t want to think about the underlining mechanics of their modules, and that doing so is counter to that desire. My point isn’t that people can’t do that, but rather, that with the modules I’ve mention the need for a module like Plaits is greatly diminished. If you already own a 301, for example, much of what plaits can do, you can already do, and then some, and as the 301 is extendable and the “goal-post” not fixed, what it can’t do now, it can one day.

Goalposts and them moving means little to me. No one forces anyone to update the 301. No one forces anyone to use the new features that come with those updates. If you want to use your 301 as a sampler and that is it, you are more than able to.

Modules (platforms) that can improve are not a problem because they are growing. They are investments which actually continue to mature.

Regarding Olivier: he knows what he is doing. He also understands his customers and market space extremely well. By saying the module is a swing and miss, was not a reflection of his business savy or even his modules. I’m referring only to the utility of Plaits in my rack.

2d

In a sense though, Olivier has allowed people to update and “improve” his modules by making them open source so that alternate firmwares can be created. Ornament and Crime wouldn’t exist either if not for Olivier’s work.

Anyways, I don’t think there’s a ‘right’ way and a ‘wrong’ way to make a module, which to me is the beauty of it, being full of misfits.

Horses for courses :slight_smile:

Some things to consider, not making any points, no axe to grind or anything, I just find this interesting:

Plaits sold out at Matttechmodular in a couple of hours
Plaits was 2 years in development
Anyone can modify the firmware (when it becomes available after second batch is sold and Olivier recoups his costs/makes enough profit)

I get that, especially if a focus of yours is in covering Plaits territory using modules that allow you to create it. I tend to use the 301 for processing, sampling, and routing, and less and less as an oscillator sound source itself, leaving those duties to be covered elsewhere in my system.

Excellent point, but then we are back in the, how good is the platform territory. Updatable modules are bound by the platform they are based on.

My observation is wall o’ synths are awesome, but today you can do everything a wall o’ synth does with a fraction of the cost and modules while maintaining all the advantages of modular synthesis. Within this mindsets platforms are crucial. Cheap CPUs are a waste of money and space.

Once again this is just my opinion.

2d

Actually, it’s very good! One of the hardest things to do when working at this level is to write the boot loader and Olivier has recently released this as open source too. That is a massive leap forward for anyone wanting to develop using this technology.

At this point you suddenly realise that you effectively have a hardware interface that takes care of all the hardware IO, knobs, LEDs etc, so the only thing left to do is imagine what you want to do and start writing your DSP code.

The DAC is appparently very good, although I don’t really know much about this, just trust the folk who say it.

For a mere £190 I think this is extraordinary and one of the best platforms available to start developing your own stuff in.

Of course you may find that the IO configuration isn’t to your liking, but again, because it’s all open source, I don’t want to say it’s easy, of course it’s not, but it’s not that much of a leap to repurpose things, hence the emergence of things like o_C.

Likewise, just my opinion :wink:

p.s. there’s a great tutorial from Tom Whitwell that walks you through the basics. In short, buy an STM32 programmer (£6) install the image of Olivier’s development environment as a virtual machine on your computer, and erm… go!

Link added on instagram for the upcoming modular doc (301 sighting): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf9Rt8iFvyq/

Who uses A <-> A USB cables? I am very confused - what is this arcane weirdness… am I really placing yet another online order for yet another USB cable variant to add to the pile of thousands that overflow from my drawers?

:thinking:

I’m guessing your Teletype has arrived but didn’t have the A to A cable inside. Using the same port that the keyboard connects to makes some kind of sense. Which firmware was installed?