Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Through Zero FM - TZFM

I haven’t tried yet, but I’m assuming you could have complex things happening within a custom unit all controlled via custom CV locals. And within, you could have a custom unit with it’s own set of custom CVs, except the nested custom unit CV controls could be controlled by the ‘local’ controls of the parent custom unit with additional CV processing. Ahh!

Multi Level!

Hehe yep! Could also process the same inputs in various ways at different points in the system too :slight_smile:

Pad One

A nice FM pad synth setup using the AKWF, a little reverb added after!

Please download the AKWF and unzip to the samples folder on your ER-301. Trust me, you want these if you are going to do anythign with single cycle waveforms - they are awesome!! Othewise you’ll have to relink the single cycle wav files manually.

Copy Pad One.lua to your /ER-301/sc/presets/chains/ folder.

Please switch to a stereo config using two channels on the ER-301.

Load up the chain and it should all work if you downloaded the AKWF.

Send it nice long gates via G1 and In1 (v/oct).

Crazy amounts of possibilities here, there are a total of 7 operators, three two op pairs and a rough emulation of X from FM8 for the nice noise swash!

It’s quite resource intensive!

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Pad_One.zip (14.5 KB)

Thanks @NeilParfitt - I’d be very interested to hear/see how you would go about mapping the CV to some of the key parameters in the Pad One patch :wink:

sounds really good! can you explain the details of the patch to those who, like myself, are not that familiar with FM? :slight_smile:

A few tips on modulation target would be great as well.

thanks!

Cheers @eremitalf :smiley:

Crumbs, I’ll try! In all honesty though, if you don’t know much about FM, you’re almost certainly better off finding a nice FM synthesis tutorial you get along with, there’s loads on the interwebs!

The basic principle is that you modulate the frequency of sound you can hear with another oscillator! Think vibrato but at higher resolutions. The interactions of just two oscillators like this can yield an awful lot of timbres, and because of, erm, weird stuff I don’t fully understand myself, this can often create very similar effects that you might find with a filter! I much prefer this form of sound sculpting as it generally offers much greater flexibility than simply using a filter! In reality it’s nice to use both, but it’s the basic principles we’re thinking about for the moment.

The mixing of signals like this also creates harmonics, so you can suddenly end up with a very low tone even though you’re increasing the frequency of a modulator. It’s really weird when you first hear it, and quite magical - I’ll warn you - it’s quite addictive!

Anyway, the patch is made up of 6 operators plus the X operator.

There are three mixer channels each with a carrier and modulator pair, each pair uses two oscillators. There are four waveforms an odd version of a Sine second harmonic (it’s not quite right, but fairly close) on channel 1 - the modulator is set much higher in frequency, then there’s a classic Sine for the carrier on channels 2 and 3 with a rough approximation of the third harmonic for the carriers. The difference between the two is simply the frequency at which they operate and how much of the signal is applied.

Critically important is that each operator has an envelope. This is so that you can mix the signals over time. One carrier will sound, then it’s modulator kicks in at the same time as the second carrier starts to sound so you get the swell and modulation happening around about the same time in the sound progression.

Perhaps a nice way to explore this patch is to mute each of the mixers and just listen to each in turn. As you switch each one back on you should hear how the sounds interact. For example, the filtered noise from the X operator comes in really quite late, there is a delay after the input trigger just before the envelope so it doesn’t start to open up until the body of the sound is well under way.

Finally there is an EQ and a Ladder Filter to shape the sound before it finally hits what is effectively the sound Amp envelope!

My advice is to just explore, as you make adjustments to the carrier and modulator frequencies you will hear the effect it has. Soloing each carrier while you do this is helpful!

As for modulation sources, I’ll leave that to you as I didn’t really make this patch with that in mind :wink:

Feel free to ask more questions, or correct me if I have anything wrong :smiley:

perfect explanation @kel! thanks.

I’ll dig deep in this later today!

This sounds incredible!

sounds great!!

what’s the exact path expected for the sample files?

Noticed in the Sampler Player with one of those waveforms loaded, there’s an “L” marker at the loop point.

How did you place that? There’s no slices and I don’t think I’ve seen that before!

Neil

The L marker shows the progress of a sample being loaded from the card.

I’ve been thinking about this and think I am just going to stick to the notion that if you’re going to use these units you really need to download the AKWF files and have the entire folder in your ‘samples’ directory. It’s not that big and totally worth it - there’s years of exploration just waiting :wink:

Otherwise it’s too much faff, but if you really want to you can, just open the .lua file and search for ‘wav’ - all should become clear but if not, let me know :slight_smile:

Although there are definitely more involved solutions, do you think that just adding the following contingencies will resolve 99% of the current issues with sharing presets?

1. Try to load the sample using the absolute path encoded in the preset.
  2. Try to load the sample from the preset file’s folder.
  3. Try to load the sample by considering (in order) paths defined in a pre-configured list called the “sample search path”. This sample search path will be defined in an optional user-editable file located at ER-301/sc/config.lua.

That would be amazing - I’ve been feeling slightly frustrated that there wasn’t an easier way to do this - thank you!!

Although I still think everyone should download the AKWF hehe :smiley:

Can I ask if a 6 operator patch is heavy on the CPU or it can easily manage 4 of them at the same time?

Oops - totally missed this, not sure how… must have been busy or something!

Yes, 6 op is absolutely fine… more even! :slight_smile:

hi, I am currently exploring the fm possibilities of the er301 and wonder if you would be willing to share a version that works with 0.4 firmware. No worries if not…