Triggering Slices in Sample player

I want to load say a chord sample into the player then slice it up and then trigger each slice in a different order whats the best method of doing this and how do you trigger the different slices.

Hi there.

Have a look here:
http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Variable_Speed_Player

You would want to load your sample into a buffer in a Variable Speed Player, or potentially a Raw Player if you don’t need to adjust the speed or pitch. Focus press the header of that unit to access the header menu. From there, Edit Buffer. There you can insert your slices. Also in the header menu you can change your playback mode to Once instead of repeating.

Then, the index parameter can be used to select which slice you’re going to trigger. Send a trigger to the gate control, and it will play back that slice of the sample. For example if you made 4 slices, then these index values would correspond to your slices (1/x slices) = 0.25

0.0 - first slice
0.25 - second
0.5 - third
0.75 fourth

3 Likes

Thanks Joe I will give it a go

Joe I have set this up sample loaded and sliced but when I trigger it it places the full sample , do I have to loop each section ? And how do I set it up to play if I had 4 slices and I wanted to go say slice 3 to 1 to 4 to 2 ?Thanks

Did you set Play Extent to ‘slice’ in the unit’s config menu?

Yes just set that up but still only triggering slice one how to I trigger rest ?

The slice parameter should control which slice is triggered. It will only change on a new trigger into gate. Make sure that your CV-to-Slice Mapping is set to index. You can find this setting in the Varispeed player’s header menu.

Ok sorry for all the questions newbie on building my own stuff , i have done that got a gate triggering the slice so I now need to assign something to the slice index to do the rearrangement of the sample , what’s the best way to do that ?

No problem. You’ll need to put something in the indexs control’s subchain. That could either be something internal (say, a sine oscillator unit for example), or something external, like the CV off of a sequencer.

Press the index control. In the lower display you’ll see gain and bias. Set the bias to 0.0, and the gain to 1.0 as a starting point. Then press the S1 button to drop into it’s subchain. If you want to assign something external, press on the empty signal selector at the left. On the next screen that comes up, you should be on “jacks”. Find the jack that your signal is coming in on (e.g. ABCDx) and assign it.

If you want to assign an internal modulator, just insert a new unit in this subchain.

Thanks Joe how does the index relate to scale from a sequencer ?

With the index subchain gain set to 1.0, 10V in should get you to an index value of 1.0. 0V in = 0.0. It’s a linear relationship. If for example you sequencer only puts out max 5V, you can set the index subchain gain to 2.0 to compensate.

Based on the example I gave above with 4 slices, a 0-10V input source, and an index subchain gain of 1.0, to reach an index value of

0.0 - first slice = 0V
0.25 - second = 2.5V
0.5 - third = 5V
0.75 fourth = 7.5V

If your sequencer only goes 0-5V, then set the subchain gain to 2 and cut those voltages in half.

Note that the fewer slices you have, the less exact you have to be. In this example there are 4 slices, so you just need index between 0 and 0.25 to select the first slice. If you have like 100 slices, you need to be a lot more precise with the CV to select them.

1 Like

Thanks Joe that’s a great help , just need to work out the notes to volts conversion now .

The various addressing modes are also described here:

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Variable_Speed_Player#Address_Mode

Got this all working now thanks for all the help

1 Like