Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Unofficial Getting Started Videos

tutorial

Video .4 #3 is up!

PS: Sorry about the edits in this one - many distractions from phone to cat to camera losing power etc… haha!

Note: 42:22ish - the “Mess” is because I removed the previous oscillator, breaking the previous assignment that was feeding OSC2’s Sync input.

Brilliant stuff !

Re: Using a Mixer Channel instead of a Custom Unit
I think using a Mixer Channel instead of a Custom Unit for processing an input signal (such as for custom FX) would be very awkward with a Mixer Channel.

Indeed, so it depends on the role. If it’s a generator, then a mixer may be more useful and if a processor, the custom unit.

Re: Navigating in the scope view
Oh and I forgot to mention that in the scope view, if you have the knob set to coarse then the cursor will try to stay at the same depth as you move left and right. The default setting is fine which means to pass through every node in a depth-first manner. Also, the Mx buttons will allow you to jump to their respective column.

I thought the point of a custom unit was that is savable - you cannot save a mixer channel and use it in another patch, can you?

Yes, definitely can. All units have the ability to save presets.

The custom unit terminology has become redundant though since all units are equally customizable. The only thing that sets the Custom Unit apart is its routing topology.

Ah, so a mixer channel preset would save its whole chain? Great - I missed that somehow.

That is correct.

Yep! any preset of a unit will save it, and everything within :slight_smile:

Okay, so the only difference between a customized mixer channel and a custom unit is that the custom unit has an input while in a mixer channel you have to manually assign an input within its sub chain? I suppose that is what was referred to as a little awkward for an effect unit above.

Are there any other practical differences as CPU usage or how both are displayed in scope view?

No, that is not the only difference. A Mixer Channel adds the (scaled) output of its sub-chain to the input to produce the output. This means the input signal will always be present at the output. A Custom Unit passes the input through the sequence of units inside of it and presents the result as the output.

mind if I pop this reply directly onto the youtube text overlay at the end?

Absolutely. Please be my guest!

@NeilParfitt Maybe your ears are burning as others are talking about you. Over on the Lines/Monome forum is a thread about learning the ER-301 and how helpful your videos are, but it seems that more focus on the current 0.4 series is desired.

I understand that you’ve been travelling a lot here at the end of 2018 while also rebuilding your studio configuration, but maybe you have a break and your cat is revved up to share some new meows to the world of O|D tutorials?

Hey, this is really a nice video, Neil! I have to tell you the 301’s random selection of “nerdy user” as the custom unit name seems cosmic. :laughing:

But seriously, thank you for your work. These are so helpful!

Ah Thanks!

Yes I’ve been slacking once again. Currently, I’m writing music for a show that uses NO synths. This has never happens. All the the modular and synths have been in a quiet slumber post studio revamp sigh.

I’m out of the hell fire hopefully mid-february at this rate!

Nice! All traditional acoustic instrumentation?

well, it’s all MIDI but it’s stuff like hand perc, vibes, mbira, dulcimer, glock, marimba, flute, acoustic guitar etc…

If you really wanted to, you would sneak some bongos in there. :sunglasses: