User Replaceable CPU - THE DEFINITE THREAD - Which one? When? How? Etc

This is Brian mentioning that in order to implement MIDI he would probably like to commission somebody to do this for him as he doesnā€™t like to mess with it himself. He is literally showing he considers putting it in in this post. I would say this encourages thinking that it will be implemented sometime. I canā€™t see why not, to be honest. The hardware seems to be there (UART) there just needs to be implementation.

So we agree : this is not planned.

Whatā€™s your point? I was suggesting it.

Do you have a point?

EDIT: If it is unclear, my point is that Brian never specifically dismissed the possibility of it happening. I was suggesting a method to do it and finding out where we are positioned in that domain.

yeah, give Brian a chance to chime in if he wishes to :wink:
if heā€™s busy weā€™ll just have to live with that genious solution
that @anon17137829 had come up with (and what Brian had already stated here and there).

but, @Worldwave, maybe your suggestion is better served in that
other thread we mentioned earlier (though it is definitely also relevant
for the replaceable cpu board thingie here.)
iā€™m also pretty sure that if Brian ever got inclined to swim in deep deep midi waters, heā€™ll pick up
your suggestion for his midi meditations. it sounds good to me, but iā€™m not an expert on
those board questions. just a parasitic consumer of the current cpu juices of my er-301, yum!
and iā€™m still hungry to be honestā€¦

Canā€™t wait for what happens next. Whatever does, when I do get my 301 (by the way when is the store opening!), I for sure will start from using Drillionaireā€™s solution. It also seems like a good opportunity to pick up Arduino programming. Itā€™d be amazing to sequence mixer tracks using the Squarp Pyramid when playing stuff live.

exactly! :smile: might want to consider @M4nguā€™s sweet sixteen, too!
but again: greed! i already wished it would have 32 faders/inputs/outputs

He did explicitly mention that he wonā€™t be implementing any MIDI specific functionality into the 301.

oh? I thought he was mentioning the way that itā€™s handled internally. Earlier in that thread he was talking about the way to add MIDI to that handler

co-sign :slight_smile:

1 Like

MIDI inputs are opto-isolated, and require a few components between the socket and the UART pin to make things work. So some kind of hardware expander at minimum is required to get MIDI working on the 301. Itā€™s not just software.

In any case, there are plenty of current and planned devices that can act as a MIDI-to-I2C bridge, hopefully there is one that fits your needs.

I understand, thanks for the explanation. Iā€™m basically hoping Transit becomes more accessible to me either by it being sold or by me learning to assemble and power it myself.

1 Like

welcome to the club! :slight_smile:
and please turn to bug @anon17137829 by constantly mentioning his name.
and keep massaging our transitional dreams into his forehead. but please, do it softly and politely!
(iā€™m sure you will)
for he is also: just another busy man :rofl:

3 Likes

Heā€™s doing his best. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it possible in the future that the main little red board can be swapped out for a more powerful board allowing more cpu? Cause 80% of my patch ideas i cant achieve due to lack of cpu, even running at 48khz.

That is the plan. I still have a bunch of other things to implement on the ER-301 first though.

8 Likes

That makes me excited!

Was trying to do a 4 voice polyphonic granular patch last night & didnā€™t make it 60% through before it just completely froze. So knowing that an upgrade in the future will come is exciting news.

Donā€™t use it as an excuse though. :wink: CPUs will always have a limit.

1 Like

Me personally, I like to play the game to just-not-max-out the CPU and get the maximum of ER-awesomeness in my patches. That being said, more CPU could get me more awesomeness :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Are you running the latest ā€œunstableā€ firmware? Because the functional CPU cap has gone way up!

Yes. Iā€™m running 0.5.01 unstable 48kHz. Iā€™m gona try to slim down some items in the patch & try to use more global chains