Before I go to bed, I would like to ask for volunteers to bang on this pre-release candidate. Specifically I want you to bang on the new CUSTOM UNIT which lets you build your own units using other existing units and tell me your thoughts. Download links at the bottom.
CUSTOM UNIT QUICKSTART
- Insert a CUSTOM UNIT
- Focus press the unit’s header to get the unit’s menu.
- Select Edit Controls.
- Press and hold “change” (S1) while turning the encoder to set the active control type.
- Press “Add Control” (S2) to add a control of the active type to the unit.
- Press UP when you are done.
- Build the internal chain: Press the CUSTOM UNIT’s “open” button to view the unit’s internal chain. Build something here. The input of this internal chain is the input of the custom unit. The output of this internal chain is the output of the custom unit.
- Use the custom unit’s controls to control parameters anywhere inside the custom unit’s internal chain: Whenever you assign an input to a branch of a unit in this internal chain, notice that you have “Local Sources” that you can select (in addition to the usual “External Sources”). These local sources are the controls that you added to the custom unit.
Some of the major things that I would like you to ignore for now:
- 6-track recorder is disabled (under reconstruction)
- Lack of UI for renaming for parameters of custom units.
- Lack of UI for reordering of parameters of custom units.
- Lack of promised new units. They are coming!
- INVISIBLE: Rewrote the underlying GUI framework to make it more amenable to plugin development.
- INVISIBLE: Big changes in the audio engine were done to get ready for the upcoming bus units.
- FIXED: button debouncing time was incorrectly configured resulting in little to no debouncing.
- FIXED: audio dropout when inserting LIMITER unit
- FIXED: upon activation, input channel selection UI resets to collapsed state
- FIXED: SAMPLE PLAYER’s fade time parameter not getting updated when moving fader and stereo sample is loaded
- FIXED: fixed potential race condition when deleting slices (hard to test though)
- FIXED: zipper noise when changing modulation gain/bias via knob
- FIXED: WET/DRY parameters were not clamped to [0,1]
- FIXED: some obvious parameters were not being set when loading a mono in preset into a stereo context (and vice versa)
- FIXED: when parameter is focused, pressing CANCEL now restores the original value (rather than zeroing it)
- FIXED: bouncing cursor does not match selected spot sometimes
- ENHANCED: slice offset parameter added to SAMPLE PLAYER
- ENHANCED: scrolling in SAMPLE PLAYER’s slice view now wraps at the begin/end of the sample
- ENHANCED: added hard sync to SINE OSC unit
- ENHANCED: you can now undo the following actions: clear chain, delete unit
- ENHANCED: now in some units, if you can focus press a parameter to get its contextual view
- ENHANCED: keyword filtering added to the unit selection screen
- ENHANCED: 24 quicksave slots
- ENHANCED: OUT1-4 can be routed to chain inputs
- ENHANCED: units can be renamed
- QUESTIONABLE TWEAK: replaced SAMPLE PLAYER’s linear fade with a cosine fade
- NEW UNIT: Custom Unit (encapsulate a chain of units)
- FIXED: firmware updater crashes when pressing the update button
v0.1.6pre-patch3 (The Neil Parfitt patch) CHANGES
- FIXED: focus pressing a control caused it to lose focus
- FIXED: fixed some visual issues with fonts (0, r, and t)
- FIXED: sub-chain edits were not being reflected in the parent parameter’s miniscope
- FIXED: local sources are placed first, in the source selection screen
- FIXED: accidentally, left out the SINE unit’s level parameter from UI
- ENHANCED: GUI animation settings added (slow, normal, fast, disabled)
- ENHANCED: Custom Unit names are randomly generated
- ENHANCED: Custom Unit control editor, pressing S1 will cycle through options
- ENHANCED: Unit presets that are saved in ER-301/sc/presets/units/chooser now show up in the unit selection screen.
v0.1.6pre-patch4 (The sunshinelover patch) CHANGES
- FIXED: Characters were being inserted on button release (should be on the press) in the keyboard screen.
- FIXED: “Prompt” setting for reloading quicksaves on boot was not working.
- FIXED: Unit names were not restoring properly when loading presets due to incorrect saving logic.
- FIXED: Crash when inserting unit and front SD card is not mounted.
- FIXED: Suggested filenames are no longer erased when typing (press SHIFT+HOME to clear the text box).
- FIXED: Crash in sample slice view.
- FIXED: Disabled wrapping around in slice view.
- FIXED: Cursor not showing in channel setup.
- ENHANCED: Focus press unit header to switch between unit’s control view and menu view.
- ENHANCED: Normal press unit header to left justify the unit.
- ENHANCED: Unit bypass now implemented.
- FIXED: Crash when CPU is overloaded.
- FIXED: Removed zombie sub-screens in admin menu.
- FIXED: 6-track recorder is back with cleaner UI (and internals).
- ENHANCED: 6-track recorder now has presets and it’s state is saved with quicksaves.
- ENHANCED: file/folder dialogs have been consolidated and improved.
- ENHANCED: At anytime, SHIFT + channel buttons 1-4 will mute/unmute the corresponding chain.
- NEW UNIT: I’ve been stress testing the firmware with this CV-able STRESS unit.
- FIXED: Mono version of STRESS unit crashed on load.
- FIXED: Garbage values in frequency measurement display over gate control in the CUSTOM unit.
- FIXED: limited pitch modulation range on CUSTOM unit
- FIXED: In Chain Preset Saving, the button release from pressing “Save” was inadvertently activating the “New Folder” option on the next screen.
- FIXED: creating a new folder while saving chain/unit presets caused .lua to be appended to the folder name.
- FIXED: Got rid of the intermediate “switch” state on the units.
- FIXED: 6-track recorder UI behaved weirdly when recording buffers overflowed.
- ENHANCED: added context-sensitive hints to the 6-track recorder setup screen.
- ENHANCED: audio is faded out/in whenever you mute/unmute a chain
- ENHANCED: chain is now auto-muted before you clear or link/unlink channels
- FIXED: freeze when automatically restoring (w/o prompt) the last quicksave on boot.
- FIXED: incorrect “failed to load quicksave” error message when loading quicksaves made before patch 6.
- FIXED: Sometimes unit subscreen contents are blank after returning from a menu action.
- FIXED: When loading a quicksave, 6-track configuration is only loaded if not already recording.
- FIXED: Track-and-Hold unit was not tracking when used in a mono chain.
- FIXED: Unit bypass menu item was not working when the unit was collapsed.
- ENHANCED: Changed default unit settings for MIXER gain and PLAYER speed.
- ENHANCED: ADSR parameters have been extended out to 10sec.
- FIXED: LOOPER’s fade on reset functionality was missing.
- FIXED: Sequential channel bleed on the G inputs.
- FIXED: SHIFT+HOME (ZERO) now uses the press event rather than the release event.
- FIXED: LOOPER preset will now restore buffer characteristics (max loop length and # of channels).
- FIXED: Negative start parameter values in the LOOPER unit didn’t wrap around.
- FIXED: SAMPLE PLAYER would not stop at previous slice when speed is negative.
- ENHANCED: LOOPER start parameter has been changed to proportion of maximum loop length (was seconds).
- ENHANCED: Changed default frequency settings for SIN OSC and LADDER FILTER.
- FIXED: PLAYER gets stuck if the active slice is at the exact beginning or exact ending of a sample.
There is a possibility that quicksaves and presets made with this new version are not backwards compatible. So to be safe you should make a copy of your ER-301/sc directory before switching firmware.
Note: If you installed the unpatched version of this firmware, then you will find that the Firmware Update screen has a bug that prevents you from installing another firmware via the FRONT sD card. This bug gets fixed in patch 2 but in order to install it you will need to so via the Emergency Manual Update Procedure (E.M.U.P.):
The Emergency Manual Update Procedure
(This is not the normal firmware update procedure! You only need to do this if the regular updater using the FRONT card fails for some reason.)
- Download the firmware archive that you want to install and unzip its contents on your PC.
- Unscrew your ER-301 from the case and look at the back. There is a SD card on the back. I will call this the REAR SD card. Take out the REAR SD card and bring it to your PC.
- Using your PC, copy the 3 files that were in the firmware archive (MLO, SBL, kernel.bin) to the root directory of the REAR SD card of the ER-301. You will overwrite the 3 files on the card already and that is OK.
- Put the REAR SD card back in the ER-301 and power up. You are done.