It is time to put the flag in the ground again. Welcome to the v0.2.x party! Just like last time, this is where early adopters can try out the most recent firmware and influence its development before it becomes a stable release. Expect bugs and maybe even a few crashes.
I’m also changing a bit how I increment the version numbers. Instead of patch numbers I am just going to use the build numbers to indicate each new update to v0.2.x in this thread. Stable releases will be denoted by the major and minor version numbers. So hopefully after few weeks this firmware will graduate to a stable release called v0.2.x-stable where x will be the number of updates it required to get it there.
- ENHANCED: WAV files can be auditioned in the file browser.
- ENHANCED: Card speed measurement tools added.
- FIXED: Multiple references to the same sample were not being saved properly in presets.
- ENHANCED: last saved/loaded preset is used as suggestion when loading/saving presets
- ENHANCED: Slice view directly accessible from context view in PLAYER unit.
- FIXED: SHIFT+insert was ignored in the slicing view.
- ENHANCED: SINE OSC unit CPU usage reduced to 40% of previous.
- ENHANCED: LADDER FILTER unit CPU usage reduced to 75% of previous.
- NEW UNIT: Manual Grains
- NEW UNIT: Aliasing Triangle
- NEW UNIT: Aliasing Saw
- NEW UNIT: Card Player
- NEW UNIT: Native Player
- ENHANCED: In sample pool, ‘Clear Pool’ command has been changed to ‘Purge Unused’.
- ENHANCED: Additional slice addressing modes called ‘nearest’ and ‘12ET’ were added.
- ENHANCED: Decibel control added to Custom Unit.
- FIXED: Out-of-bounds buffer access in Manual Grains.
- FIXED: Insert button hidden by waveform display.
- FIXED: Decibel label on signal meters are now fixed.
- FIXED: Sound drops out when inserting a unit in a subchain after auditioning a file.
- ENHANCED: Pan parameter added to Manual Grains.
- FIXED: Crash when removing LOOPER unit.
- FIXED: Irrelevant pan parameter showing on mono Manual Grains.
- FIXED: In sample pool, the ‘purge unused’ command would sometimes stop prematurely.
- FIXED: Inconsistent triggering when slice 0 is at the exact beginning of the sample.
- FIXED: Displayed slice number was off by one in the slicing view’s slice list (but was correct in the sub display).
- NEW UNIT: Rectify with full, positive-half and negative-half rectification. Amongst other uses, put this in the level chain of the (normally bipolar) VCA to get a unipolar VCA.
- NEW UNIT: Skewed Sine Envelope with skew, duration and level parameters.
- NEW UNIT: Fold, splits incoming signal into upper and lower portions, applies separate gains and recombines.
- ENHANCED: Global Chains were added to the Admin and Source chooser menus.
- ENHANCED: Quicksave slots can be named.
- ENHANCED: Envelope Follower unit parameters are now modulatable.
- ENHANCED: Added contextual scope views (of unit output) to some more parameters.
- FIXED: Zippering noise in Envelope Follower unit.
- FIXED: Manual Grains sometimes stops making sound after assigning a new sample.
- FIXED: After loading a preset, enumerated options were not reflecting new values.
- FIXED: Quicksave UI was shown even if no card was mounted.
- FIXED: Freeze when removing a triggering Manual Grain unit with an assigned buffer or sample that is short(ish).
- ENHANCED: 6-track recorder will now append an auto-generated take number when saving to a folder that already contains previously saved audio tracks.
- ENHANCED: 6-track recorder will use “save to file” semantics when there is one track to save, and, use “save to folder” semantics when there is more than one track to save.
- NEW SETTING: Configure 6-track recorder save semantics for single tracks (default is file).
- FIXED: Error in resampling code causing some high frequency content to be attenuated. Sample Player, Manual Grains, and Pitch-shifting Delay should sound slightly brighter now.
- FIXED: Occasional crash during WAV file auditioning (due to race condition).
- ENHANCED: Take a screenshot anytime using SHIFT+CANCEL. Images are saved to the
- FIXED: Presets are not properly restoring shared (non-file-backed) buffers.
- FIXED: Re-assigning a sample to a playing Manual Grains would sometimes cause the unit to “lose” volume due to resource contention in the grain pool.
- FIXED: Global chains that refer to each other might not load correctly from presets (delayed name resolution needed)
- FIXED: Ladder filter becomes unstable (and stops making sound) if the V/oct input sees a large positive input.
- FIXED: Variable Delay has a 12kHz artifact when modulated in small amounts.
- FIXED: Variable Delay slewing when modulated.
- FIXED: Remove illegal characters from keyboard when naming a file or folder.
- FIXED: Bypass does not work in top level of a Custom Unit.
- FIXED: Crash when assigning local or global stereo sources that have names that do not end with a number.
- FIXED: Stereo Pitch Shifting Delay was missing the V/oct input.
- FIXED: High frequency artifacts in the Pitch Shifting Delay for non-integer speeds.
- ENHANCED: Ladder Filter CPU usage reduced 50% with no change in quality.
- ENHANCED: Added 1V/oct control to the Pitch Shifting Delay.
- ENHANCED: Pressing UP when in a scoped parameter view will return the unit to its original parameter view.
- ENHANCED: Parameters can now be renamed and moved in the Custom Unit.
- ENHANCED: Toggle and Trigger parameter types were added to the Custom Unit.
- ENHANCED: Sample Player unit now has a Stereo Routing option to control how stereo samples are played in mono (i.e. left, both, or right)
- ENHANCED: Pitch Shifting Delay CPU usage reduced 50% with improvement in quality.
- FIXED: Custom Unit control assignments were not restored when loading legacy presets and quicksaves.
- FIXED: Renaming or deleting any local or global sources (such as Custom Unit controls or global chains) were not being reflected in chain input assignments.
- FIXED: Global Chains were being restored from quicksaves but not showing up in the admin->Global Chains screens.
- ENHANCED: Verification screen added to the “Clear All” command in the Custom Unit’s control editor.
- ENHANCED: Press SHIFT while the cursor is over any chain header to display an ‘xpath’ that describes the location of the chain in its hierarchy.
- FIXED: Custom Unit control assignments were arbitrarily reordered upon restoring from a preset.
- FIXED: Duplicate control names in Custom Unit were allowed when renaming controls.
- FIXED: XPath display stuck in sub display.
- ENHANCED: Through-zero Linear FM unlocked for Ladder Filter, Sine Osc, Aliasing Saw, and Aliasing Triangle.
- FIXED: TZFM was not inverting oscillator phase for negative frequencies.
- FIXED: Mixer unit’s mute/solo state not being saved in presets and quicksaves.
- FIXED: Unstable tracking of clock period in Clocking Delay unit.
- FIXED: Occasional pops when modulating the delay time past the max delay of any of the Delay units.
- FIXED: Ladder Filter would not self-oscillate unless provided with a fluctuating input.
- FIXED: Disabled logging to the UART port unless development mode is enabled.
- ENHANCED: Reduced CPU usage of White Noise unit by 70% with no change in quality.
- ENHANCED: Phase modulation added to Sine Osc unit.
- ENHANCED: Feedback (PM type) added to Sine Osc unit.
- NEW UNIT: Ladder High Pass Filter (HPF), 4-pole and resonant.
- NEW UNIT: Fixed High Pass Filter (HPF), 1-pole very efficient implementation for DC blocking applications (e.g. on FM inputs or after wave-shaping).
- NEW SETTING: Does bypassing a unit also disable it? Yes or no.
- FIXED: In 6-track Recorder, saving a single track to a single file will fail if the destination file already exists.
- FIXED: Possible float pointing exception (division by zero) in the Manual Grains unit when duration is zero.
- FIXED: Pops would occasionally appear in IN1-4 and ABCD inputs at CPU loads above only 65%.
- FIXED: Ladder Filter, Sine Osc, Aliasing Saw, and Aliasing Triangle units were not restoring f0 parameter from presets created prior to v0.2.12.
- FIXED: Unable to re-enable a unit that was loaded from a preset in a disabled state.
- FIXED: Display process was starved when loading quicksaves or presets.
- FIXED: Unit control still focused when exiting from a subchain via UP button.
- FIXED: Rational VCA was not rounding the numerator and denominator to the nearest integer since v0.2.14.
- FIXED: Sometimes loading a quicksave would leave the top level chains in a disabled state.
- FIXED: Channel linkage data was not restored properly from quicksaves.
WARNING: Quicksaves produced with this version are not backwards compatible.
- FIXED: Starvation of UI thread which caused freezes or very slow preset load times when CPU load is high.
- FIXED: Inconsistencies in Sample Pool serialization/deserialization behavior.
- FIXED: Unit and chain header text extending beyond boundaries.
- NEW UNIT: Exact Convolution, an experimental IR convolution unit that is rather heavy on CPU. This unit will only load the first 48000 samples (48kHz firmware) or 24000 samples (96kHz firmware) of the assigned sample, and ignore the sample’s sampling rate. The maximum IR length is halved for stereo chains.
- FIXED: Crash when loading chain presets inside a Custom Unit’s encapsulated chain.
- MAYBE FIXED: Occasional crash when deleting slices.
- EHNANCED: Clipboard for units and sequences of units. Hold SHIFT and turn the knob to select units, then Cut, Copy or Move to Mixer. If configured in Admin>Settings, quicksaves persist clipboard contents.
- FIXED: Crash when scrolling in (non-empty) slice list after deleting slices.
- FIXED: Paste command would not appear after Copy/Cut unless you first moved the cursor.
- ENHANCED: Super Fine knob state added. While in Fine mode, hold SHIFT and turn the knob.
- ENHANCED: Super Coarse knob state added. While in Coarse mode, hold SHIFT and turn the knob.
- ENHANCED: Coarse/Fine knob state are now persisted for each unit parameter and saved/restored with presets.
- ENHANCED: Pitch Shifting Delay wet parameter is now modulate-able.
- FIXED: Tap Tempo pulse width was being calculated without taking into account the clock divider factor.
- ENHANCED: Tap Tempo width parameter is now modulate-able.
- FIXED: Could not dial in 0Hz on oscillator units.
- ENHANCED: On power up, show the name of the restored (or to be restored) quicksave.
- ENHANCED: Added contextual scopes to all parameters.
- ENHANCED: Offset unit is now modulate-able.
- FIXED: Activating contextual scope for the 2nd instance of some units caused various odd GUI behaviors (collapsed units, for example).
- FIXED: Some faders will go out of bounds when using the fine adjustment near the top of the fader’s range.
- FIXED: Card Player was failing to load since v0.2.21.
- FIXED: Card Player was causing presets to fail to load.
- FIXED: Sample Recorder (Looper) sometimes failed to produce sound due to a bug in the fading algorithm.
- FIXED: Sample Recorder (Looper) punch fade and reset fade time are now both set by the ‘fade’ parameter.
- FIXED: Sample Recorder (Looper) clicks and pops when dynamically changing the reset period.
- FIXED: Sample Recorder (Looper) has difficulty controlling loudness when doing sound-on-sound.
- FIXED: Sample Recorder (Looper) exhibits erratic behavior when assigning mono buffer to a stereo unit.
- ENHANCED: Buffer creation defaults to stereo when initiated from a stereo unit.