Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

V0.3.x Firmware Workout: Better late than never

feedback

I thought that ‘side’ also referred to the audio either left or right!
It was only when I was cooking earlier that Brian’s earlier comment dawned on me and I realized it was left and right side of the sample!

Brian,

Thank you so much for this wonderful release! I love the new menu system, the sample slicing, and the grain stretch player are wonderful! I am looking forward to diving even further in in the next few days!

At the risk of taking up space in this thread, I feel I have to take a moment to specifically praise the unit selection UI improvements.

After using 0.3 for a couple of hours last night, I really feel like this made a big impact in terms of usability. More so than I would have guessed. Clever UI design is really one of your great strengths, @odevices!

By the way, is Hold mode something for V0.3.x or a feature that’s coming later than the current push?

i agree, it’s definitely an improvement and i work faster, however i don’t quite get why the reverb and the stress unit are the only units thinner than the rest…?

i used revert and that worked

Ah, thanks !

Here is what I think happened:

1. You loaded a sample called “lets-do-the.wav” in the Sample Pool and assigned it to a Sample Player.
  2. Next, you went into the Slicing View and silenced the entire sample.
  3. Now you wanted to go back to the original file, so you went to Sample Player > Assign Sample.
  4. In the Sample Pool, there is a file called “lets-do-the(1).wav”.
  5. You didn’t notice the “(1)” and selected it hoping to restore the original file. However, this is actually the silenced sample and the original sample is no longer in the Sample Pool. It got removed after being cloned for the silence operation, because the ER-301 noticed that no one was using it and thus unloaded it to free up sample memory.

The UX gives you two options to revert back to the original sample:

• Reload “lets-do-the.wav” from your card back into the Sample Pool and assign it manually. The original file is still there. The ER-301 will not touch it unless you specifically tell it to overwrite it using the Save As command.
  • Use the Sample Player > Slicing View > Revert command which essentially does the same thing plus it removes the unloads the altered “lets-do-the(1).wav” sample from the Sample Pool since it is not being used.

This UX design was dictated by the limited amount of RAM available for sample editing and the fact that samples are a shared resource. I chose to take the (easy to remember) route where edits are local. In other words, if you have a sample shared amongst more than one unit, then as soon as you edit the sample data via a particular unit’s UI, then that unit gets its own copy of the sample data which is no longer shared (unless you then go and explicitly share it). I believe this is the least confusing of the possible options.

Feedback on the above is appreciated. I am open to suggestions. :man_factory_worker:

Thank you so much Brian for your hard work.
Time stretching is so nice…
And reverb…
And workflow…

I found the cause for triggering not working properly in some of the one-shot modes! Fix coming soon.

That is a tricky one. I could see wanting it to behave differently in different situations. One like it behaves today, and another where it automatically propagates the edited wave as the assignment to all units using the original file. I don’t suppose it’s possible to put something in the global settings that selects the behavior, with the way you have it working now being the default, is it? If that creates a whole bunch of work then in my opinion, what you’ve chosen is the best behavior, because it’s the most intuitive.

I guess one way to have both your cake and eat it too is something like this:

• If you edit a sample from within a unit then the edits are local.
  • If you edit a sample from within the Sample Pool then the edits are global.

Hmm but maybe some people will think that editing from the Sample Pool should be local too…

Is there a way to jump into slice/edit from the sample pool today? I missed it if so. :slight_smile:

No. I’m speaking hypothetically at that point.

As it behaves today, if I copy/paste the sampler unit, will the edited copy of the buffer go with it? If so, I guess that’s one fairly easy way to propagate the changes elsewhere. Not sure if that’s any easier than just going in and choosing the edited buffer or not…

Yes. Basically the situation post-edit is the same as when the unit is assigned to a different sample than other units. The altered sample is a full-fledged citizen with no special behaviors except that it remembers the path to the original file where it was cloned from (for revert purposes).

Hmm… having the option to propogate the local edit to other units using the original sample sounds like a pure nicety then. I think for me that use case would be fairly rare, and when it does come up, would just be a matter of understanding what’s happening. The actual effort required to re-assign buffers manually is pretty trivial.

Are the slices localized to the unit they were performed in now too? Or are those still stored with the wave file?

Slices are still associated with the sample. When you make sample edits, both the sample and the associated slices are cloned and the sample edits are applied to both the cloned sample and the cloned slices.

Uh oh! Writing the above made me realize there is one inconsistency: Slicing operations (such as manual insert/delete and auto slicing) are all global operations. They affect all consumers of the associated sample.

v0.3.02 CHANGES

• FIXED: Preamp Settings > Crash on load/save preset.
  • FIXED: Grain Stretch + Sample Player > Not responding to triggers in some modes.

Good night! :sleeping: