Welcome to the realm of v0.3.x. I will be your Firmware Master for the evening. The biggest changes are not going to be visible to you quite yet, but will rather unfold in the following weeks. In addition to the usual opportunistic cherry-picking, the major theme for our journey to a stable v0.3 firmware will revolve around these 2 areas:
- Opening the Middle Layer: Writing Your own Units in Lua
In the list of changes below, you should hopefully see some good progress towards the Sampling theme. The bulk of the work for the Middle Layer is finished but before I open it up, I need to add some finishing touches. More to come!
As always proceed with caution and keep anything that you care about away from this firmware for a while. There is a LOT of new code that is only minimally tested. Your old presets and quicksaves will not load in this firmware. However, the good news is this firmware will create a completely different set of system folders (in ER-301/v0.3) and operate independently of the previous v0.2 release. The only shared folder is ER-301/recorded.
- NEW UNIT: Grain Stretch, a slice-able sample player with independent control of pitch and speed. Has the same (extended) slicing functionality as the Sample Player unit.
- NEW UNIT: Freeverb, the public domain and ubiquitous Schroeder reverberator from “Jezar at Dreampoint”.
- NEW UNIT: Bump Map, maps the input signal to a bump function with adjustable center, width, height and fade.
- NEW UNIT: Scale Quantizer, quantize pitch CV to various scales.
- NEW UNIT: Velvet Noise, randomized impulse train. Smoother than white noise but without the low roar of pink noise.
- NEW UNIT: Pulse to Hertz, measures the frequency of the incoming signal (after thresholding) and outputs the measured value in Hz.
- ENHANCED: Sample Player > Menu > 3 new attributes to control play head behavior: How often? (loop vs once). How much? (all vs slice). Which side? (left vs both vs right).
- ENHANCED: Improved menu system that reduces scrolling and makes better use of screen real estate.
- ENHANCED: Sample Player > Slice View > Auto Slice on spectral onset (i.e. transients).
- ENHANCED: Sample Player > Slice View > Auto Slice on grid.
- ENHANCED: Sample Player > Slice View > Shift multiple slices
- ENHANCED: Sample Player > Slice View > Select region with SHIFT+KNOB. Cancel clears the selection.
- ENHANCED: Sample Player > Slice View > Snap to zero-crossing via [snap] button. Can be combined with region selection.
- ENHANCED: Sample Player > Slice View > Destructive operations: trim, cut, normalize, silence, fade in, fade out, and remove DC.
- ENHANCED: The KNOBMODE button toggles between time and amplitude zoom in the waveform displays. Note the horizontal and vertical arrows next to the LEDs on the panel.
- ENHANCED: Admin > Preamp Settings > IN1-4 preamp hardware is now configurable from the admin screen. Line level recording!
- ENHANCED: All load and save dialogs remember their last file or folder choice.
- ENHANCED: Sample Pool > When entering the Sample Pool from a unit menu, the unit’s currently assigned sample is highlighted for easier reference.
- ENHANCED: Sample Player > Slice View > Audition individual slices.
- ENHANCED: Track & Hold > Two new modes: low = track on low and hold on high, minmax = running max on high and running min on low.
- ENHANCED: System directory structure on front card is now organized by the major and minor version of the firmware (i.e. /ER-301/v0.3 instead of /ER-301/sc).
- FIXED: Standardized (and minimized!) button presses required to navigate a chain and their units.
- FIXED: Period-o-meter renamed as Pulse to Seconds to match the Pulse to Hertz unit.
- FIXED: Sample Player > Last active slice shift was not being restored when loading a preset or quicksave.
- FIXED: Sample Player > Slice View > Cut operation was copying the wrong portions.
- FIXED: Sample Player > Slice View > Zooming while onset/grid slicing caused a crash.
- FIXED: Looper > Context View > Zooming causes a crash.
- FIXED: Looper > Context View > Memory leak. GUI slows down (and possible crashes) when Looper context view is visible.
- FIXED: Preamp Settings > Crash on load/save preset.
- FIXED: Grain Stretch + Sample Player > Not responding to triggers in some modes.
- FIXED: Legacy (v0.2) presets are loadable again.
- FIXED: Slice on Onset > Results from median filter of peak heights were being ignored. Slices should be more robust now.
- FIXED: Slice on Onset > Detection algorithm was not starting from the beginning of the buffer.
- FIXED: Put back the missing expand all/shrink all function. Focus the chain header and cycle with the ENTER button.
- FIXED: Unit menu was activated on a button press (instead of a release) which allowed the button release to inadvertently activate a menu item.
- ENHANCED: Added visual hints as to what will happen if you press a soft button again after already focusing a unit control or header (i.e. focused press).
- ENHANCED: Bump Map now takes 1/3 of the CPU usage as before. Also renamed Bump Map to Bump Scanner.
- NEW UNIT: Sample Scanner > Same as Bump Scanner except you can also ‘Assign Sample’ to be scanned by the input. Set fade to 0 and width to 1 and height to 1 to use a sample as a lookup table (LUT).
WIKI: How to install firmware on the ER-301
Do not gig for the Queen of England with this firmware (yet).
er-301-v0.3.03-unstable-48kHz.zip (1.4 MB)
er-301-v0.3.03-unstable-96kHz.zip (1.4 MB)