39 posts were split to a new topic: Units that block their inputs
I can no longer create controls on custom units (fresh unit, no content), the 301 always ends up with a crash. Here’s the log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-UvBfVqENePNk3qeO-T44APbJcwBWdeS/view?usp=sharing
/ok updating from 4.07 to 4.08 (was not aware of it) solved the problem.
hey all, sorry if this question has already been answered, but do we have a semblance of guarantee that custom units will be forward compatible from now on? I’ve been meaning to get back to work on my 301.
Personally I don’t look at anything in the firmware as being fully stabilized until we reach 1.0. That said, it seems like Brian tries to maintain some forward compatibility whenever possible.
okay, that sounds pretty reasonable. I don’t really mind playing sisyphus for the time being
Possible intermittent bug while renaming units. I cannot consistently reproduce this as it is either a combination of key strokes or scrolling up against the top of the rename menu (or a combination of both). The encoder will switch scroll direction. If user exits the renaming screen, the behaviour will reset to normal.
Normal: CW = scroll down, CCW = scroll up
Bug: CW = scroll up, CCW = scroll down
Renaming Global Chains does not auto populate previous name.
a feature, not a bug
Hehe. As @hyena implied, it is intended behavior. Your first turn of the encoder determines the direction for scrolling down but only for that one session with the keyboard. I’m experimenting with it. Different from the faders, there is an ambiguity with the keyboard: are you scrolling the foreground (selection bar), or, are you scrolling the background (the letter & numbers)?
Anyway, bug report noted. Experiments will continue.
Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation.
Another possible cosmetic bug or perhaps clever reason?
When assigning a Source in the Meter Menu (e.g. INx, Ax, Bx…) CV signals will show up but immediately fade to 0. When drilled down in the sub Scope Menu (e.g. Dx, D1, D2, D3) The CV will show actual value without fade.
Is the upper source meter menu screen meant to show change rather than absolute value?
Essentially, yes. Those meters show loudness in decibels. A constant signal is silent.
Really enjoying working with v0.4.x and all its lovely new features compared with the v0.3 releases. So nice!
It’s been about a month since v0.4.08 was released and I’m wondering if maybe I have missed any clues about when another update might be on the way and what might be in it…
I’m actually quite happy with the current version except that I have some largish v0.3 custom units that I would love to have available. If it doesn’t look like a v0.4 version will support loading v0.3 presets any time soon I can just re-implement them in v0.4 with only a moderate amount of moaning and groaning, but I would hate to spend hours doing that and then have a new version come out that imports them automatically
Sorry for the delay on that. I’ll have an answer for you this weekend.
Any possibility will we every get long convolution reverb? Or is it impossible with the current processor?
When it comes to exact convolution, based on the current literature I believe I have already implemented the most efficient algorithm or at least 90% of the current state of the art. However, when it comes to approximate convolution there are still a lot of things to try, some of which I’ve already started working out on paper. If they work out then you will see an improvement but the amount of improvement will probably depend on the IR.
this is great news! exact convolution is uber-interesting, but i’d like to see a stripped down, less precise unit we can use with more nonchalance in complex patches!!! thanks @odevices for the never ending research & development!!!
Yes, good to hear the convolution has not been left behind. It seems a good place for experimental fx… nomatter what the processor is limited to.
I know nothing about dsp programming , but i make an uneducated guess that er-301’s processor would be at least capable of an FV-1 chips capabilities minus it’s subtle nuances…
Am i wrong ?
You are not wrong.
- FIXED: Legacy Presets > v0.3.25 presets and quicksaves should now load.
- FIXED: Track|Sample & Hold > Was not saving and restoring its last held value from presets.
- FIXED: Control Editor > Property menu was not focused initially.
- FIXED: Global Chains > Renaming screen did not auto-populate previous name.
- FIXED: 6-track > Assignments to global chains were not persisted.
- FIXED: Multi-Band Units > Bypassing the first unit blocked the input signal.
- FIXED: Quicksave Sub-display > Total # of units in the quicksave was not being counted correctly.
- FIXED: Channel Mute > Not persisted in quicksave.
- ENHANCED: Sample Scanner > Added option to disable interpolation.
- ENHANCED: Insert Unit > Unit and Chain presets can now be loaded directly from the Insert Unit screen. Unit presets will automatically instantiate the correct unit and chain presets will be loaded inside a Mixer unit.
- ENHANCED: Insert Unit > Browse units alphabetically and by category. Set default behavior in admin > Settings.
- ENHANCED: Insert Unit > Bespoke units loaded from external libraries (i.e. not built-in) are now labeled with their library name. (Bespoke developers: Please use short library names.)
- ENHANCED: Bespoke Units > If a bespoke is not found in the original unit library (because the library was renamed or not loaded) then the ER-301 will look for a unit with the same name in the other (loaded) unit libraries.
This sounds great! Thanks for the update