V0.5.x Release Candidate: Execution Scheduler Redesigned

Excellent!!! Thank you as always @odevices :trophy::trophy::trophy:!!!

Got to be the best update I can think of to be honest, thanks so much!

So… v0.5… Can I quote Bon Jovi? “Whoa-Ooh we’re half way there…”

3 Likes

Update was flawless! I have patiently been impatient about a CPU upgrade for a long time, so this update is a god’s send. And it’s definitely a different experience this firmware. I had one freeze with no error log, but it might has been an extreme lag while placing a new unit (while maxing CPU)…

My experience so far looks like this: up to 80% performance is pretty stable, although the “Insert unit” menu starts to lag very fast from this point. The good thing is that the general navigation and usage of the patch, jumping in and out of units and so forth suffers much less. So If you are patient enough while loading a unit, you will be able to use it with much less trouble and that’s very cool. On 0.4 the lagging at high CPU usage was global.

Thanks!!!

3 Likes

I’ve been using tracks 1 and 2 as my main stereo mixer and 3 and 4 for single cycle voices. All the elements the make up the single cycle voices are within a mixer that are saved and loaded as a preset. During a song I’d fade out, mute then load the preset for the next song. One thing I have noticed in v0.5 is that when I load the mixer presets there is a click/crackle noise. On previous versions this would happen very rarely. With v0.5 it happens pretty much every time. I’m working with the same quicksave that I had prior to the v0.5 update. CPU is right around 65%, I’m using the normal latency 48kHz version. Tried muting the unit, bypassing the unit and muting the track, still clicks on load.

edit: The clicks/crackles apply to loading and saving on v0.5. I just went back to v0.4.27 to make sure I’m not crazy and with v0.4.27 loading and saving is slow compared to v0.5 which is super fast, but v0.4.27 is usually free of clicks/crackles.

1 Like

Hmm. Might be a blocking issue with the SD card read/write task. I’ll investigate.

4 Likes

v0.5.01 CHANGES

• FIXED: Clicks in the audio when inserting or deleting units or loading presets.
  • ENHANCED: Text Entry > Holding a button will repeatedly insert the character or perform the action (i.e. backspace).
  • ENHANCED: All sample players that can play slices > Added new Play Extent option called ‘cue’. Triggering the player will cause playback to start from the current active slice/cue and play until the end (or beginning if speed < 0). Afterwards, if looping, then the entire sample will loop.
39 Likes

Not sure if that’s a recent issue in v0.5.01, but I notice a faint high pitched noise when entering the CPU load page… And thanks a lot for this great update!!! :blush:

thanks for the Cue play extent! it works perfectly and its really great for broken beats!

1 Like

I almost don’t use my er301 anymore, but it sounds like ‘instant’ MLR to me… exciting.

1 Like

@odevices

I think I found a bug in 0.5.1

On any channel if go to hold mode and try to add with the + sign it. After naming it puts the control to the left of the + sign and is unreachable.

You’ve created the pin, but have you exited hold mode to assign a control to this pin?

2 Likes

Omg. I totally forgot about the long press menu. This is what I get for posting after not touching the 301 for a while. I’m embarrassed.

Maybe I’ll use this time to ask a hold mode question:

• How do I delete unassigned pinsets? I can see them in the control long press menu but I can’t see them in hold mode. I did this by assigning a control to ALL PINSETS which reveals them but this seems like a weird pattern.
1 Like

If you can’t see a pinset in hold mode (assigned or not) then that is a bug.

1 Like

Are the recently used text snippets in hold mode separate from the edit mode set on purpose? I think it would be handier if they were shared between modes.

2 Likes

I think I cannot effectively describe what’s happening here, but it seems the latest V0.5 OS slows down quite a bit and create loud noise when I load more than one custom unit on at least two different channels. I just loaded the same presets I used on V0.4, so perhaps it’s been overloaded? Please let me know if you need any additional description of this phenomenon (for now, I put it back to V0.4).

May I have the preset or quicksave please? Also, which flavor of the firmware were you using (48kHz, 96kHz, low-latency)?

Sorry! I just reinstalled the 48kHz version and now it works fine… Previously I was on the 96kHz version and caused the aforementioned issue. TBH I’m not fully aware of the difference between these two, but perhaps it’s because of the present I loaded was made on 48kHz version of the V0.4…?
Anyway, thank you Brian for your advice.

That is correct. The 96kHz firmware calculates audio samples at twice the rate of the 48kHz, so CPU load will be almost twice as high on the 96kHz vs the 48kHz for the same preset.

1 Like

I’m having a small - likely user error - problem. I successfully installed the 96khz 5.x firmware but then decided I’d be better off with the 48khz version instead. I’m following the same upgrade process but after what appears to be a successful install my 301 still shows that it’s running the 96khz version on boot up. What am I missing?

Jonathan

I just tried updating to v0.5.01 (96kHz) and then going back to v0.5.01 (48kHz) using files downloaded from this thread and it all worked as expected. So I’ll need more info. This phrase seems suspicious:

The ER-301 prints the following message when it completes the update successfully:

Extracting initial boot loader...
Extracting secondary boot loader...
Extracting kernel....
Update succeeded. Reboot to use new firmware.