V0.6.x Release Candidate: Packages and Mods

Hi,
Are there any step by step instructions for setting up the emulator on a PC for people who arent coders or have not used linux before ?
If not, i would like to request such a thing.

I also have the same question for how to convert old patches people have made, so they work on newest fw…
It doesnt seem any of the old patches work and there have not been many(if any) conversions by the creators.

I hope there can be some tutorials on these subjects.
Im sure im not the only er301 user who is not a coder/programmer or whatever !

thanks

Best place to start is definitely the readme and the forum discussion. For OSX/Linux the steps have gotten pretty straightforward to run it natively (although a bit of familiarity with development goes a long way). On Windows however you’ll need to run it in on a virtual machine like VirtualBox which can be it’s own bucket of worms (@Joe has had success here iirc).

In general the emulator is intended to be a tool for development. It can be a fun exercise to get it running but it’s not really something you want to make music in.

As for older patches/units they’ll mostly get updated over time (I’m still working on all of mine). We have a community project going to get a lot of these documented in a nice way on the hub as well but adoption takes its time of course :slight_smile:

Edit: I should also add, we have the emulator and v0.6 to thank for the possibility of much more sophisticated units than ever before. Take the sequencers I created for example, something we could only dream about in the old days and it’s only going to get better!

4 Likes

Cool, i look forward to it ! I guess i wont bother with the emulator (for now at least). I have been excited to check out new fw and especially those sequencers !

I guess was just wondering how hard to update old patches and if it is something i could learn. It would be nice if it could be a group effort to get alot of the old stuff updated.
I have no idea how hard or time consuming it is though. I guess I will try to find some info on it and see if its over my head…

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Developing for the ER-301

Hey all. New 301 user here, running the latest firmware (v0.6.11) trying to sort out my setup with Teletype.

Is there a way to measure i2C input values other than seeing it on the display for the SC.TR and SC.CV units?

I’ve got the 301 and Ansible connected to the same header on Teletype, and Ansible is working fine. The 301 doesn’t appear to be receiving input, though.

At first I was trying to follow the old instructions on the Wiki and couldn’t locate the setting to enable in admin, but then I realized that it appeared the package manager now controlled this (which is why I’m posting this in this thread, since the setup seems specific to 0.6.X). So I found everything there in those settings, and I think I have everything enabled correctly.

I tested using the SC.TR unit and was pulsing a trigger to the Ansible and 301 in the same metronome script on the Teletype. I didn’t see any evidence of input on the scope for the unit. Port was matched to the command (both using port 1).

I was careful to match the leads properly when attaching the jumper wires, so all should be correct there. I’ll try testing again tonight but with the CV unit instead.

My question is: given what I’ve listed here, are there any additional items that stand out to anyone to check in the setup I’ve described? Also, any other suggestions for more concrete ways to verify communication rather than just viewing the scope output? Seems like maybe one of the utility units would be good here, but I need to review what they all do to verify.

Also, is anyone on this thread successfully using Teletype with the 301 on this firmware? If so, can you let me know what settings you configured to enable it?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Today I turned on my system and when asked to load my last quicksave and choosing Yes, I got “failed to load quicksave” message.

Now this is what I’m seeing and am unable to load:

That 4th slot has been working fine for a few days, though it is a large project that runs at %85 (> 60 units). I saw in the quicksave slot 4 folder that there are the following entries:

Q01.save
Q02.save
Q03.save
Q04.save

I blindly tried to remove Q04.save after backing up to no avail (tried remove 03 as well, same issue).

Any tips to debug this? Can it be salvaged manually? I’m on v0.6.09 btw.
Sorry if this should be in Quicksave failed to load - #2 by odevices

Edit - here is quicksave file:
Q04.save (153.3 KB)

Edit again: for more context the only real change besides parameters to this quicksave from the time it was working is I changed the sample source of a sample player. I was also able to save it multiple times without issue (I’m a compulsive saver).

We would need to see Q01.save. The others are backups of older quicksaves.

• Q01.save is the most recent save in that slot.
  • Q02.save is the 2nd most recent save in that slot.
  • Q03.save is the 3rd most recent save in that slot.
  • Q04.save is the 4th most recent save in that slot.

To restore from a backup just rename Q0n.save to Q01.save where n is the desired backup.

1 Like

Ah! I should have checked that one :laughing:

It’s an empty file

Is it possible that you powered down before it finished saving?

I’d love to think better of myself but It’s certainly possible. I usually shut down long after I should have gone to sleep so… :man_shrugging:

Renaming Q02 to Q01 has me back in business and relieved. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

So basically you have no i2c input on the 301, but the TR (i2c) unit is not triggering anything?

If so (and assuming the TR (i2c) unit is set up to do something useful), sounds like you should go over your i2c connections again. Don’t trust me on this, but seem to remember that the order of cables are not the same on the 301…

EDIT: So tt->301 right? Did/do you have it working with .5 firmware on the 301?

2 Likes

Hey @a773, thanks for the response.

Are you saying that part of the problem could be that the TR unit isn’t connected to anything? I had been assuming I would see activity on it without a destination. Since I was trying to confirm setup more than make music I hadn’t tried to build anything off it.

But yes, so far it appears the 301 is not getting any input from Teletype. And yes, it’s TT → 301

I’ll try shortly with the TR unit connected out to something useful and I’ll verify the i2c connections again.

Thanks!

Thanks @a773, you were correct. I had a bad jumper wire. Connections were routed fine, and they were brand new wires, so I replaced all the jumper wires to be safe, and now all is working. I needed someone to confirm that my setup sounded correct to eliminate what seemed like the more obvious factors from the equation. Appreciate the help!

Debugging state of mind…

Glad you got it sorted!

2 Likes

Need a little help here figuring out what happened. I just installed the latest firmware and also installed the new packages after updating it. However I do not have access to any of the base units. Changing back to firmware .05 brought everything back but I’m just wondering why this happened after I installed packages on firmware .06

As stated in the on-screen instructions, when upgrading from v0.5, install v0.6 twice.

@odevices
I’m getting consistent freezes with v0.6.11 and the following use-case:
-insert Grain Stretch
-load a sample from the card
-modulate jitter with an external CV on D3 with gain = 1, bias= 0
-once jitter is less than -0.7 or so, the system freezes

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile: I have some troubles with loading up my quicksaves with SC.TR and CV units from 0.5 because they are renamed. Is there a package in which they are named as the old units? :slight_smile:

Appart from that TR port number 1 seems not working :slight_smile:

if i recall well i had the same GrainStretch issue with 0.4.X firm i guess, under -0.7 my er301 rebooting by itself :astonished: (it was loong time ago, but reading your post i say wow!)