V2.xx: ER-102 Firmware Discussion

Great news - thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Hi Brian,

I played another gig at the weekend and suffered with a syncing issue that I am able to replicate back in the studio and wondered if you could take a look into it please?

In short the ER101/102 seems to lose it’s sync with the incoming clock if I focus on the snapshot button and scroll back and forth to another snapshot whilst in ‘hold’ mode, the effect can be quite noticeable if you scroll very quickly when the snapshot is focussed the current running sequence will definitely lose sync (for clarity this is even before I finally load the new snapshot). Unfortunately I found this the hard way a couple of times during my performance when I decided to load a different snapshot that required me to scroll though the snapshots before finally commiting and when I committed at the end of the current track the new sequence, when compared with the drums running at the same time, was quite out of sync.

I ran a simplified test where I compared a simple 4/4 kick pattern from my ‘drum sequencing’ ER101 against my ‘synth sequencing’ ER101 with the same 4/4 pattern and then put the ‘Synth’ ER101 into hold mode and then scrolled around when the snapshot was focussed and the ‘synth’ 4/4 track goes completely out of sync with the kick 4/4 pattern.

The reason I haven’t had this problem before was that I was previously moving systematically from 1 snapshot to the next adjacent one and so didn’t really scroll very far, but this weekend I did scroll back and forth (through indecision) and this is when the sequences began to really go out of sync with each other … so when I did reset both ER101s there was a noticeable ‘reset’ hiccup of the ‘synth’ ER101.

Let me know if you need me to test anything for you or send a copy of my snapshots from both ER101s.

Thanks Phil

Patch notes for simplified test above:
Both ER101s being clocked by Pamela’s New Workout (PNW) sending a x24 clock to both of them.
Both receive the same reset signal from PNW when I send it i.e. after resetting and not ‘snapshot scrolling’ the two 4/4 patterns are perfectly in sync.
Both tracks with their respective 4/4 patterns have a clock multiplication of 2/3.
Running firmware F2_18 on both ER101s

@vcoadsr if you scroll fast through the tables while a sequence is running the same thing happens, i remember i asked brain about this more than a year ago and it seems that’s inevitable…scrolling slowly solves that issue, at least for me.

@vcoadsr

Thank you for the clear bug report (as always) and my sincerest apologies for ruining your gig. :bowing_man: It looks like SD card access and sync are still interfering with each other. I will look into this right after I have ER-301 V0.3 firmware out.

@kilchhofer

I totally don’t remember being notified of this issue but that doesn’t mean you didn’t tell me! :bowing_man: Many apologies for not acting on it, yet. I have it on the bug list now, so it will stare at me everyday until I squash it.

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-102/Tracker

2 Likes

This would be great, as always I’m very appreciative of your dedication to the support of your modules so no apology needed - as @kilchhofer mentions if you scroll slowly then this helps ameliorate the problem but obviously in the heat of the moment playing a gig remembering to scroll slowly could slip your mind …

Many thanks, Phil

no problem brian, it was many months ago and i remember you writing me that you can’t do anything about that, or something like it. i absolutely didn’t mean to run you down, apologies!
it’s really just a thing to remember, don’t scroll fast through the lookup tables/snapshots. but of course, if you could fix it then that would be awesome!

EDIT: it seems i have another problem with scrolling through the tables:

1 Like

@vcoadsr - I do it this way too. Multiple tables with each table being a specific scale with root note. I do it all in C and then adjust at the oscilator.

If you have other ways would be great to know - have been watching Mylar melodies updates based on your set up

1 Like

You know @vcoadsr you have a considerable amount of knowledge on operating the ER-101/102, might you consider sharing your workflow via a series of video tutorials?

1 Like

Yeah, I should do something - realistically I won’t have time until the end of the year to do something like this, but will definitely consider doing a few vids.

3 Likes

the problem is more apparent when a step is assigned to a group. I get as well a jitter output on CVB when scrolling fast throu snapshots. (edit: i just noticed that i don’t have the latest frameware…so my coment may not be correct)

there are several really good videos from @odevices and most importantly a incredibly well written manual.

1 Like

No slighting Brian’s great work on the videos or manuals, but when other people create tutorial materials they often show a previously unconsidered technique or they present in a style that resonates with another side of the audience. It’s kind of like Os at Expert Sleepers, he makes excellent short videos for his modules, but when MylarMelodies makes a tutorial there’s an entertainment value that is just “Ace” and it might be that extra spark of enthusiasm that talks differently to each user that allows us to learn just a bit easier.

Re: Written Manual - there are no better user manuals than those from Brian, although the Rossum Electro-Music manuals for the Control Forge and Morpheus should be right up there too.

1 Like

I think really rather than call it a tutorial maybe what people might be more interested in is the application of the ER101 for musical uses - if I did some videos it would be more focussed on how I use them :slight_smile:

But Brian’s manuals are really good and I’m still referring to them now even for the ER101/102s - last thing I learnt about two weeks ago (and obviously overlooked previously) was the ‘split’ option when inserting a step - can’t believe I missed it before :blush:

2 Likes

You said it a lot better than I, thanks.

1 Like

“Research has shown that using the ER-101 may not make your music sound better but it will make you smarter!” -anonymous

4 Likes

A small bump on this one :wink:

A small bump on this one too :wink:

Lol, I saw that coming when trying to find the bug description… still a ways off yet as I’m trying to get a load of tracks produced in January, keep reminding me though!

1 Like

@odevices hi Brian, have you had time to look at this yet? Thanks, Phil

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, Phil. Not yet. I’ll get right on it after I put out ER-301 v0.3.09 firmware.

4 Likes