What’s your favorite way to use the 301?

Been finally getting the hang of the 301 and how it can be implanted into my setup. It’s so powerful. Just curious how some of you guys use it! I know a lot of people use it as a complex looper in their rig.

I’ve been having a blast using it as a polyphonic voice in my case. Not the most exciting use but it just sounds so good. It’s design makes it easy to program. I don’t save my patch either, so I always come up with a new approach to polyphony every time I sit down with it

1 Like

Not the most exciting use currently, but I have a stereo chain for master fx, compression, limiter. I also have two mono chains with one osc going into each with a tuner on each and filters. Pretty vanilla right now. I think the most fun way I’ve used it is with loopers in which the reset is triggered by same triggers as drums.

1 Like

I like using it as a fully synthesized (using built in oscillators) or sample based drum machine (sequenced externally via triggers to external or internal envelopes and pitch from sequencer as velocity).

1 Like

Oh hell yeah thats awesome. What are you using to sequence?

I use a combination of a Westlicht Performer and a Temps Utile (for its euclidean modes). The WP plays the role of “main” sequence, and the TU tracks function as accents or fills (though I can flip those “roles” any time I want) - basically there are two sequences per drum sound (I use 3 or 4 drum sounds). So for simple example let’s say I have my WP hi hat track running 8th notes, I can run the complimentary TU track at 16th notes, but those 16th notes can be a different volume than the 8th notes. I could also accomplish that same thing with just the WP because I can use the WP pitch as velocity, but it’s more fun and less meticulous to do it via TU and besides, this way I can have the WP and TU tracks running at different lengths to achieve a polymetric rhythm on a single track! And both of those sequencers are going to their own envelopes so the WP pattern can function more like an open hat, while the TU pattern can function as a closed hat. Some “clever” patching within the 301 guarantees that when the WP and TU happen at the same time on the same sound we don’t get a volume boost and the WP or “main” track will prevail. On top of this I’m controlling drum parameters (volume, decay, FX sends, etc) via Tesseract Sweet 16. The WP+S16+ER-301 (with or without the TU) makes for a pretty nice drum machine. Lots of fun, and only real downside is the CPU is maxed out so when I want to try something new it’s often a game of sacrifice (for example taking the dual sequences out of the equation frees a lot of CPU), but I really don’t want to sacrifice anything in this base setup.

very different tasks each time. even if its basically hooked up always the same way (one aux send from my mixer to the first input of the 301, outs 1,2 and 3 going straight into 3 channels of my mixer, 1&2 usually panned hard l & r for stereo operation, channel 3 mono, the fourth channel is unplugged and i usually use it to send audio signals directly to other modules), it makes a lot of different functions, looper, effect processor, synthesizer, sampler.

but the most important use for me is using it as a synthesis\sampling\processing laboratory in which i study new and bizarre ways of sound manipulation or i use it to properly study existing techniques, theories, processes, to replicate the behaviour of this or that device etc…