Will there be a sample player with cvable loop in and out points?

Hi,
guess about this has been talked before, sorry if so, i´m bad at searching and found nothing:slight_smile:

@odevices Will there be a sample player with modulatable Loop in and out points? (like the tyme sefari)
(Or is there a way to achieve this now?)

and a sample player with window size and window position (always looping) would be great (very simple granular technique), like the Phonogene, would also be great. is something like this planned?
The manual grains has bits of it.

thanks!

3 Likes

Modulatable start and end points is on the upgrade list. Something I’m looking forward too also, essential!

2 Likes

I can’t remember. Did we establish why repeatedly triggering the Sample Player and modulating its shift parameter was not enough to replace this and then some?

perhaps because like that you are forced to follow the tempo of the clock (or the time interval between gates) you use to trigger it, while on the other hand you’d have the loop independent from external timing sources.
plus in the way you describe you only modulate sample start, not loop end

That’s not entirely true though:

• You can generate non-tempo-related clocks at will.
  • The current method modulates loop start and loop length.

Anything else? :thinking:

FYI, there are benefits to using a clock to set the loop length. You can easily do length doubling and length halving with V/oct signals.

1 Like

you are right but i think there’s something in the immediacy of tweaking (or modulating) loop start and end that will end in different results than this method.
i have a tyme sefari mk2 that does this and it’s always surprising what you can make of it.

Sorry. I should have been more clear. I know that the interfaces are different. :laughing: I guess I’m asking if there are any (intentional) musical results that one method can achieve that the other method can not.

Also, I’m not argue against doing this, I just want to understand the difference fully.

Also #2, the immediacy argument doesn’t really hold much water either because once you set up the patch both methods have 2 parameters to tweak, one is loop start/end and the other is loop start/length.

yes but one method relies on another variable (external triggering).
i’d try to accomplish both methods on the tyme sefari mk2 and compare results :slight_smile: even if sefari is lo-fi and has short sample time it can be used as raw comparison.

well, you are absolutely right, i´m sorry i did not think of this way of use it. sorry, my fault. so,
what i wrote here:

and a sample player with window size and window position (always looping) would be great (very simple granular technique), like the Phonogene, would also be great.

is (nearly) fullfilled. i just tried it out, great, no need to have an extra unit. feeling a bit silly as this is so obvious:slight_smile:
but theres one thing @odevices why can i just shift 5seconds long, and not the whole sample?
if i could shift the whole sample, this would be perfect.

now for the other proposition:

Will there be a sample player with modulatable Loop in and out points? (like the tyme sefari)
(Or is there a way to achieve this now?)

i don´t see a way of doing this… just moving the start point, without moving the end point of a loop, how would one achieve this right now?

I think the only way to do this would be for you to dynamically alter the retrigger speed, e.g. length while, you changed the start point, I’m guessing the maths might be funky.

Start point moves but end doesn’t, I think correlates to:
Start point moved forwards means faster triggering
Start point moved backwards means slower triggering

Yes, but this will not be precise at all. This technique is more for the other stuff I was talking about. Phonogene Style vs Tyne sefari.

For me the question is mich more important, why just 5sec of shifting? Why not the whole sample?

It’s very difficult to do this precisely if you are trying to use the visual of the wave form. If you can see the start and end points, you could adjust them on the fly. That’s why I would want to be able to do this. I hope that makes sense. This could also be interesting if the end was adjusted to go before the start - the sample loop could go in reverse.

So does this mean that this only has value to you if there is a visual of the waveform on which you are adjusting the start and end points in real-time?

Hmm, not necessarily, but it is one of the reasons I love the ER-301 when it comes to working with samples.

I’m playing with this now and I have to admit I’m kind of at a loss at how to evaluate it. :laughing:

• It seems to only really work if you have the start and end points mapped to external faders so you can grab both and move the whole window because moving the start and end points one at a time does not seem very useful. :thinking:
  • It only seems to be useful on samples that are at most 1 minute long. Any longer, it gets really fiddly.
  • Once you have the start and end points set, it seems to me that you would want to then just move them together mostly after that. But now that is really difficult. So I’m always going back to why not just set the loop length and loop start?

So I must conclude that I’m totally missing the point. Does anyone have any inspiring examples (video or audio) of this in a modular context?

Yes, I like the window size/ Start loop behavior more. So in the end I would be fine with at it is now.
Except I need shift longer than it is now… any reason it can not adopt to the sample length?

(But I guess there are enough people who like the other way. If you watch time sefari Videos you will see.)

Doing this invariably results in glitches, Tyme Sefari is amazing for this!

I can imagine that trying to get this to behave without glitches is going to be erm… challenging :wink:

Looks like I didn’t even get that right. :cry: Here is a typical example of the end point passing through the start point a few times. No glitches though.

8 Likes

I think what I am going to do is abandon the separate start+end point version and go with start+length instead. However, length will be able to go negative for that “collapsing through a singularity” effect.

5 Likes