Wonky behaviour (fixed hopefully)

Received my 101/2 combo last week and after some playing around I feel that it has some wonky behaviour, not sure if there is something that I mistakenly have turned on that affects it or what, could do with some advice.

Working through the first example sequence ~quick start~ I make a 8 pulse sequence comprising of 2*4 pulse
sections an octave apart gate length on both are 1 pulse each I turn gate length up on one note but both notes increase in length.

This is the simplest example of what is happening, it does create some interesting sequences when I go deeper but definitely not what I’m trying to do though.

Hope I’ve explained this correctly

not sure if this is what is happening, but changing the step length changes the overall length of the sequence, if you want to lengthen step 1 but keep the overall length the same you might want to read up on the pulse stealing option, this might help:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I’m using 4ppqn atm until I get the hang of it, so 2 steps of 4 pulses each, trying to follow the quick start example in the manual, one gate trigger in each step of one pulse length, turn gate length in one step to 3 for example and the other gate will also increase to 3 pulse length keeping perfect timing, the confusing thing is that this does not happen every time but other strange things do, like turning gate value up and still having previous value, ie gate lenght 1 is exactly the same as gate length 2 only when I raise it to 3 does it actually lengthen and then 3 is the same as gate length 4, this also happens only sometimes.

I suppose I should video it but can only use my phone which would be pretty terrible.

ok that sounds odd… may be one for @odevices

For this kind of purpose phone videos are absolutely fine and very helpful!

1 Like

Hmm, just changed clock sources from using silent way to clocking direct off the Eloquencer and it seems to be cured, I am now extremely confused as that limits me to 4ppqn.

Anyone else using silent way as a clock source?

Good morning. I’m just trying to catch up here: So if you use a free-running LFO or similar to clock your ER-101/102 then your two step sequence behaves as you expect. However, if you use Silent Way to clock (via an ES-?) then it acts weird?

1 Like

@odevices

Yes, that is correct, I will experiment more when I get back from work tonight, I’m using a ES-3 BTW, I have just started playing with my setup as it has just been assembled in my new case, this could be user error on my part.

No reset signals are involved? If yes, i recommend leaving them out until you are sure things make sense.

1 Like

ATM I am clocking the 101 from the eloquencer and it is working perfectly, I did have a reset connected from silent way for the wonky behaviour but I am going to ignore clocking from my DAW for the moment until I get my head around the workings of the 101/2 combo.

The modules are amazingly built and I am finding the workflow extremely intuitive BTW, Thank you @odevices for coming up with something like this.

I do have another question though, how do people deal with clicks from the gates when using analog VCOs?

What clicks do you mean? There shouldnt be any clicks(unless desired of course).

1 Like

I assume you mean the clicks when gating a VCA? Gate -> Envelope Generator (ADSR or at least AR) -> VCA.

1 Like

Using gates instead of envelopes on analog oscillators will produce clicks due to the fact you are giving a VCA an on/off signal with no attack/decay, resulting in clicks due to the on/off signal not syncing with the actual waveform. My Cyclebox is fine with gates but my analogs do click.

Colour me stupid, I need ADSR type envelopes, ATM I only have AD types so long gates do not translate, comes with being a noob I suppose. :flushed:

Okay got it now. I find your loose terminology a bit confusing. What you mean is using gates on a VCA and not on an OSC. And if the OSC is analog or digital doesn’t really matter here, does it?
The solution would be using envelopes. It doesn’t necessarily have to be ADSR types. I really dig the Intellijel Quadra which is a 4X env generator. Each envelope can be set to AD/AHR/cycle . The AHR mode works perfectly fine for long sustained notes too.
If this wouldnt lead to the success you wished and you still hear clicks from your VCA you could try a VCA that detects zero-crossings and opens/closes only in sync with the zero-crossings of your audio material.
The WMD Digital VCA could do that.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I had a Malekko AD/LFO in my case and it ignored gate length so instead of taking a step back and thinking I started looking for a mallet to crack a walnut. :rofl:

I have just put my intellijel dual ADSR and it works perfectly but to utilise the 4 gates from 101 I will take your advice and purchase a Quadra, do I need the expander to get the sustain function or not?

Thank you to everyone on this thread for chipping in and apologies for being such a noob. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

While the expander is great for voltage control of the rise and decay lengths and end of cycle pulses you do not need it for sustained envelopes. There is a switch for each slope to put it in trigger, gate or LFO mode.

1 Like

Don’t worry… i’ve been there too… many times

I didn’t even know that there is an expander. Need to check that one out then…
As leverkusen allready stated you defintely don’t need it for the sustained notes.

Everybody starts as a noob. No need for apologies!
I wouldn’t consider myself as a veteran either…

1 Like

Ah! That would do it. :wink: Thanks for letting us know.

1 Like

After receiving my Quadra and expander, I will just say that I should have bought these ages ago, quadrature mode is fabulous when used on long gates and the quadra pairs perfectly with the 101.

Now, time to Krell.

1 Like

You can get the 101 to output triggers btw, so you can use all your envelopes with trigger inputs. It’s in track options.

And yeah! Get your krell on!

1 Like