Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Working in Stereo - Clarity

Hi Brian,

Was working today in stereo (usually I’m mono and process on the outside to squeeze more cpu juice out it).

I was finding it visually misleading with source and effect containers having the ‘left’ and ‘right’ labels above the function keys as they both take us to the same chain vs. taking the user to the left or right side of a chain (which I’m guessing isn’t a thing).

I suggest having the left/right text labels over the scope in the same way global chains visually look, and have a single ‘open’ at the bottom to take the user into the unit,

Relating to stereo, it would be amazing to have a mono input source/stereo output mixer. At the parent level, stereo thru and stereo out, and within, a single input source and mono processing chain, tapping the stereo out at the panner.

This all came about when I was attempting to make a clean self-contained M/S encoder and decoder within a stereo container (with processing between stages). It became messy very quickly and was tricky keeping track of additional open VCAs to gain stage when doubling up inputs that required a single source in a mixer.

In the end, for now, I abandoned it and instead successfully made it using Ch1 and 2 as M and S, and the decoder on a stereo ch 3.4. I’ll take another crack at it though,

3 Likes