Written Tutorials?

Thank you. I imagine more than a few people would welcome that addition to the Wiki. Furthermore, it would be great if the Wiki contained even more entries on basic functionality for newbies.

On another tangent, I literally laughed out loud when I read “play a fucking sample”. Humor is also subjective. It’d best for all of us if emotion-driven accusations were deleted before being posted.

Well, reading this after @anon83620728 's killing of the ER-301 thread on Muff Wiggler by calling nearly everyone out to be fucking cunts and what not over pages and pages (even MATsmile, who started the thread and introduced the ER-301 to MW) makes me feel angry. Sickening hypocrisy that is.

I haven’t seen such open hostility and malignity before and I really hope it will not happen here again.

Also I think @BanjoSausilito 's point is important. When I first learned about the ER-301 I watched all the great tutorial videos and, combined with my familarity with modular synths, I was pretty good prepared to start when I got mine.

But I also needed some practice time then and learned a lot by building chains from the videos. That is not as easy anymore as it used to be because things changed a bit and confusion may come up. I remember being a little confused my self as some of the first videos did not work with the UI anymore back then.

It seems that the ER-301 gets more and more popular (for good reasons :star_struck:) and we should be prepared that people come here and ask questions, maybe even with a feeling of uneasyness due to their irritation. I also can sympathize with this cause I lost track a bit myself with the new developments due to time constraints that hold me off from exercising the latest firmware and I feel that there is a hurdle to overcome now to keep track again.

3 Likes

@BanjoSausilito

The video catalogue (it’s almost at that now!) has been an ongoing venture of exploration built upon discoveries found in previous video. Many are not from a ground zero perspective which could be puzzling for a new user. The series has bumbled along with all the forum originators as we all discovered and tested all the goodies together over time.

So, I have to remember that moving forward and take this into account with vids.

Keep in mind these were never official manuals … hence the ‘unofficial’ tag off the top. They were initially (selfishly) for me and then kinda blew up from there.

FWIW I’m planning on doing a very to-the-point OS .3 walkthrough if that’s at all helpful for new users (like yourself) diving in the first time NOW. Like video 1 and 2, but CURRENT (vs. the video’s OS0.1.X) so you never have to dig that far back. Unlike then, the slicer and sample UI has been drastically improved and streamlined.

So - getting down to the real basics of real common tasks and a chilled out pace so viewers can follow along to get the hang of it. Like you opened the box for the first time and then went … “now what?”

What I might do is named the instruction style ones something else, and the current batch of stuff more as extended routing concepts and exploration… I’m all ears for organization ideas.

However, all that being said, the channel layout, signal flow of chains and subchains and how they all interact is the same since the beginning, aside from the added bonus of Global and Local controls. So even though I’m almost at video 40… the signal flow is the same for all them.

One of my great joys is when I see people have that ‘aha’ moment with this module, and then the floodgates of discovery happen. This module has no fixed wa to create something. It’s up to the user how they want this module to work for their specific needs. That’s what equally makes it so fun/great and possibly mysterious diving in for the first time. Because it’s not a sampler, or a synth or a _____… it’s more like a blank canvas. You don’t need to know Max or coding (I don’t), but you do need the basics of audio processing flow, basic modular-style synthesis & CV behaviour.

Anyways, aside from all this, I love this forum and it’s a place I love to call a home on the net - as there’s little to zero negative noise, only constructive discussion no-matter what the topic.

So, I hope everyone can step back, take a breath and regroup. @anon83620728 I hope you don’t bail.

Cheers all!

11 Likes

i always considered especially these two wiki pages as the best written tutorials for basic operation of the er301 when you take its complexity and possibilities into consideration. and i had to get back to them several times until my muscle memory and some knowledge took over…
http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Front_Panel
http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Signal_Flow
i believe that the harder you study those pages the happier you’ll be with further investigations.

though sometimes i am wondering whether some kind of a (n obviously temporary) cheat-sheet with links to corresponding in-depth wiki articles might already make sense at this point of the development.
i.e. zooming, channel muting, sample-editing, copy/paste…?!?

Thank you, Neil! You’re a hero :man_factory_worker:

I think everyone needs to calm down a bit.

What I’m wondering is: Instead of lamenting the lack of tutorials, could we come up with a list of potential topics for written tutorials that people would appreciate?

I generally like sharing knowledge and writing explanations and would be happy to contribute some time writing tutorials (which I personally prefer to videos, too). Maybe other people would do the same. However, I often find that it’s not so clear to me what sorts of things people who are just starting to learn might appreciate. It’s already been a while since I started using the ER-301 and I had a head start of more than 10 years experience with modular synthesis to begin with.

The more comfortable you get with a concept, the harder it is to see where the problems lie for someone who isn’t familiar with that concept, yet. So usually I just stick with answering questions as they come up.

But if I had a list of topics of interest, I’d be happy to pick one up from time to time and write about it. I’m not sure what a good process for this would be, but maybe a wiki-page for tutorial requests could work? Or simply a thread like this one. Or maybe it’s a dumb idea and the whole thing is unnecessary? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

i don’t want to re-ignite the mood here but…man…behave.
i haven’t been rude at all with you and your reply is just a tad inappropriate for two reasons:
1)i just spent a couple of minutes trying to give you my suggestion on how to proceed for fast learning
2)your expectations are yours alone. the er-301 is a digital sound canvas you can shape an awful lot of different tools with. if you bought it thinking to master it in an hour and just “play a sample” then yes, the problem is yours because the lack of a manual is stated everywhere on the site. the guy who sold it to you already advised you (and he’s maybe responsible for the negative bias you seem to have towards the module).

anyway, you entered a bar and asked the customers to help you with understanding something (and your tone was already a bit edgy). some people you don’t personally know (including the bar owner) kindly answered your question and you reply with rude behaviour. i don’t know if you do it like this in real life or if it’s something you are comfortable with only on the internet…

1 Like

and sorry to push it further but…man, you are new here and you already dictating how the conversation should proceed? have some effing respect!

1 Like

My hunch is that a basic walk through wiki tutorial on sample playback, and one on sample recording - similar to the existing one on creating a subtractive synth - would be a great start. While the 301 is so much more than a sampler, I think seeing the gorgeous waveform displays and the advanced sampling capabilities are what get a lot of people to pull the credit card out.

These are easy things to do, but I’m not sure they are 100% intuitive from the perspective of a brand new user. Videos are great, but people learn differently, and some people learn much better from written text.

I’d be willing to start or contribute to these wiki entries.

5 Likes

I would strongly recommend that you stick to the stable firmware for a while and get comfortable with that. Avoid any new firmwares until then, as tempting as they may be. There’s sometimes a decent amount of ‘brain re-wiring’ that you have to do with each firmware iteration. Eventually things will even out and development will slow down - the ER-101 and 102 are good examples of that.

It’s ok to be frustrated - people on this forum will go out of their way to help you as long as things are kept cordial.

1 Like

I suggested moving it to private messages to avoid cluttering the thread and to get things back on track. If that’s disrespect, then we have very different understandings of what respect is.

4 Likes

:japanese_goblin::poop::space_invader::heart:

Just my two cents.
Thanks to the patient and polite ones in this thread, I hope we can all get along now and no one is bailing.

man, last thing then i’ll shut my mouth. you can act smart as you want but you behaved here with arrogance when everybody (myself included) was trying to be helpful. i haven’t heard anything similar to a simple “sorry guys” from you, just more arrogance. rest assured that you discouraged me from sharing with you the little knowledge i have, in the future. i’m a bit angry bout how you simply get on with your attitude and kel is getting the blame here. but then again, this world is full of people like you so it’s just another small annoyance i can live with. bye bye.

1 Like

I think it’s fantastic that you took on the challenge of documenting the ER-301 on video as it has evolved. Mad respect to you, and I will, for sure, be watching the .3 walkthrough when it happens, and the others as I get up to speed. (There are so many of them - it’s like an online college course). I’m just too deep in the noobs to be able to take advantage of those yet.

4 Likes

you know what: there are many many ways of saying something. i don’t think i need to educate you on this… i personally think that if you want to say “sorry if i’ve been a bit of an a***ole” you can do much better than that. i’m not one that cultivates grudge or resentment especially for silly things like this but this guy replied to me very arrogantly when i was just trying to be helpful. do your math.
just to remind you: the post i was replying in the passage you quoted was directed to me, it wasn’t generic. i’m used to reply to people that addresses me personally. you,on the other hand, weren’t directly involved and yet here you are with your clever comments.
if you carefully read the post just above yours i already ended the conversation with the original poster. have a nice and clever weekend.

As ever, diggin’ your style Mr Clarkson. :wink:

1 Like

Here is a written tutorial for creating a drum rack using sample players. Please provide any corrections, suggestions, improvements. You can reply here, or feel free to edit it directly if you’re inclined. It is a wiki, after all.

How to build a simple drum rack

17 Likes

Wow, looks great - how do you do the screenshot-like pics?

:grinning::+1:

Press shift + cancel. It will place a png file in ER-301/0.3/screenshots

2 Likes

Ah, great - I did not know that! (obviously :rofl:)

1 Like