Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

WTB ER-301: Pre-order limited?

Hi everyone,

after reading a lot here and on MW and watching a bunch of videos I’d like to buy a 301. Looks like I’ll have to wait till March to preorder, but how’s the process in general? Is each batch limited or is there a limited timeframe once preorders are open?

I know its just semantics but there are no pre-orders as the ER-301 is already released and in the wild. :wink:

Here is how it works:

1. One day, after years of development and prototyping, I finally have a final version of hardware and I’ve determined that I can build it. In this case, we are talking about the ER-301.
  2. So I look at my bank account to see how many units I can comfortably buy parts for. I also make a guess on how many ER-301 I can sell in one year.
  3. I take the lower of those two numbers and I submit orders to the dozens of suppliers and factories for all of the various parts that are needed to build that many ER-301.
  4. Once I have all the parts in my possession then I open my website for orders.
  5. I keep my production schedule in a spreadsheet where I enter in one-by-one the orders that come in. I use this spreadsheet to determine how many ER-101/102/301 that I need to make each week.
  6. The spreadsheet also lets me estimate when I can ship a particular customer’s order. I send each customer this estimated shipping date (called lead time) upon receiving their order. Notice that if the production queue is empty then shipment will be within a week. If the productions queue is building up then you might have to wait 8 weeks.
  7. Once the previously purchased parts are depleted (or in other words spoken for by orders in the production queue) then I close orders.
  8. Once the production queue is empty I can start from step 2 again.

While i wait for 301 orders to reopen - questions about starting setup with 301 as the heart of the system

Hi Brian,

thanks for the detailed reply. My question was/is mostly about #7: How long does it take usually from opening a batch for orders until closing: weeks, days, hours?

The last batch took 8 months to sell out.

Alright, then I just picked the perfect time to be late to the party. :wink:

You are not late to this party as you have a bunch of stuff to learn, watch, and talk about regarding the world of O|D. I’d be willing to wager that nearly all of us felt we had learned about something from O|D much later than we wished we had.

FYI

Sent this message to the mailing list for people waiting on the ER-301 restock:

** March was just too optimistic…hopefully May.

Hello ER-301 Restock People.

I hope everyone is enjoying the transition from winter to spring.

This is just a small status update to let you know what is going on with the next ER-301 production run. I am experiencing a rather lengthy delay trying to get the last remaining crucial parts for the next run of ER-301. I’m being told to expect the delivery in May. In the meantime, I might be able to get a few dozen of these parts earlier for a small run during the end of March or beginning of April but the larger run (which should keep me in stock for at least 6-8 months) will most likely have to wait until late May. I will let you all know as soon as this smaller run happens (if it happens).

I apologize for having to extend the restock date but as an extremely small manufacturer, these things are mostly out of my hands. If there are any substantial changes, I’ll let you know. Thank you for your patience and support.

Kind regards
Brian Clarkson @ O|D

I can imagine how frustrating this must be! Best wishes with it all, we need more ER-301s in the world!

Still… leaves plenty of time for firmware development :smiley: