Your signal chain after ER-301

While waiting for my ER-301, I’m all over modulargrid putting together various mini-systems based around the sound computer (obviously). And I was wondering what your preferred modules after the 301 are. What do you tend to send it through? Also, do you re-sample through external modules?

Turns out like 90% of the time my ER-301’s first two outputs go into dedicated inputs on my interface. Sometimes I record the 301 to my four track cassette recorder to add all those warm imperfections. Sometimes I would use the Intellijel Springray on a mono out. Sometimes the Serge TWM too.

1 Like

For me it’s almost always the last in the chain. From there onto DAW or speakers. Even if I run out to a modular FX unit, I’ll still typically route back into the 301 as the last output just to make sure I limit the signal.

1 Like

Often straight into mixer, but actually could be anything, various reverbs feature a lot just because it is one of the things the ER-301 can do, but only in a fairly limited way.

Analogue filters really help when using the ER-301 as a synth, Natural Gate (is a perfect match for Evil Twin), Belgrad, R*S VCF Q etc…

1 Like

I am in the same boat as @boboter. I’ve been wondering if I’ll repurpose my streams (which I currently use as a dual LPG) to become a stereo compressor once I have the 301, to place after the sound computer in the signal path. Or does that even make sense because you can implement your own dynamics processing within the 301 at the end of its chain?

1 Like

The main dynamics processing unit available as of 0.3 stable is the Limiter.

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Limiter

2 Likes

In my latest setup the 301 is the only sound source, I use the outs direct into the ins of the mixer (4 channel frap tools cgm) or in the ins of the fumana (in which I modulate the various audio sources from the 301 with each other). Then I have erbe-verb and rainmaker as FX connected via the send/receive group on the mixer.

Other times when I had to carry a smaller setup I used the 301 as source, as audio modulator via the fumana, as final mixer with send and receive to the erbe-verb. It kind of rocks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been inserting the stereo chanels separately at different points within the rest of my system

i.e. modular > 301 ch. 1+2 > modular > 301 ch. 3+4 > interface/computer

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for all your insights. I was also thinking of using it as a mixer (besides other things of course) in my travel system.

I expected more answers of you using analog filters etc. like in ‘classic’ synth structures to warm up the sound but it‘s very promising that you seem happy about the internal options and mainly add fx to the whole thing.

My signal chain depends on a few things. Most of the time, I’m running a stereo channel on Outs 1+2…I run those outs into a Buffered Mult and run the mult to various FX/processors (Clouds, Magneto, Morphagene) / my 6hp stereo mixer. The stereo mixer usually goes out to the Intellijel case outputs and that runs through either my outboard mixer or Analog Heat. This way, I can have a dry signal of Outs 1+2 on top of the ones that are running through those FX.

If I’m really feeling it, I’ll run that stereo mixer back into the 301 and use the 301 as some sort of matrix-style mixer. Because of this, I can run those FX channels into each other rather than run them in parallel as I usually do. Requires some creative workarounds so you don’t get feedback loops (unless you want that type of thing), but it’s awesome.

3 Likes

same as many, 99% of the time outs 1+2 as a stereo go directly to my monitors (through a motu audio interface). These days i use out 3 and out 4 to set up mono chains that i send to three sisters / warps and feed back somewhere into the chain (in a looper which i granulate the buffer from, for example).
I’m only starting to get a hang of feedback with the 301 but i’ll have to focus on that this summer.

1 Like

The first 2 outs go to a MSCL to 2 DIY transformer DIs out to my interface.

1 Like